Posts by lgirton

Yeah. After thinking about it, I probably need to cover the cake in fondant, and then do the square top in the same fondant. Thanks
Question: Is it difficult to color match fondant and buttercream? I am thining of making a 6 or 8 inch round cake with buttercream frosting and then adding a square on top of gumpaste/fondant to make the cake look like a graduation cap. I'm not sure what the school colors are yet, but wondering if it will be hard to get the buttercream and fondant colors to match??   Thanks!
one other side note:When I did a test run with my son's birthday cake (put M&MS on the side in the shape of a superhero emblem), I put the cake in the fridge overnight and then took it out a couple hrs prior to the party. The change in temperatures caused the M&Ms to fade in color.For the wedding cake I did, I decorated the cake the day before the wedding and kept it out/covered (not touching the cake) and the color of the M&Ms stayed as they should. Stacking and...
For my first stacked cake, I think it went well (you can see the pictures of how it turned out in my profile). I am not a professional by any means.The bride purchased the M&Ms for me and I think they bought 26lbs which was WAY more than needed. I probably used 1/5 of that, if even that much. It was comforting to have more than needed in case of mess-ups and what not. I had to transport it two hrs away, and I definitely had to do some touch-ups as M&Ms fell on in transit...
So if I am finished baking everything on Friday, I can ice it (dirty) then fully frost it and decorate it on Friday and leave it be until we head down to the wedding on Saturday? I'm using the Fluffy Buttercream frosting recipe posted here (no other filling, just the frosting between layers).
Thanks, the tough part is the wedding is 2hrs away and the cake will be completely covered in M&Ms...will it be alright for the cake to be out for pretty much the day (decorate the cake around 10am, travel to wedding arriving around 3:30...wedding starts at 5?I'm doing this as a favor to a friend and am new to the logistics of wedding cakes and what can be out for how long and what not. Any resource links greatly appreciated!!Thanks
For those of you who have decorated cakes (buttercream frosting) with M&Ms...have you ever had a problem with the colors fading? I am doing a wedding cake upcoming that they want covered with M&Ms.When I did a test cake a couple of weeks ago, the colors faded (it did go back in the fridge overnight and then about an hour after it came out (and was sitting out), I noticed the M&Ms color were faded...could this be due to the temperature difference? If so, should I decorate...
Very true! I'll check and see if they care if they are specifically M&Ms or rather something similar ( I feel like I have seen knock-offs where you can buy colors in bulk). Teal and silver/platinum are the colors they are going for...
That first line made me laugh out loud! Thanks!Great idea on the mess rubber liner. Also great reminders on bring lots of extras and what not for touch-ups/repairs.Thankfully they are covering the cost of everything (M&Ms included) and I am "just" putting it all together and transporting. The venue is about an hour from home, so as long as I keep it chilled in the fridge until we leave I hope it will be alright. Has anyone ever had an instance of the M&Ms melting on the...
I am pretty amateur compared to some of the amazing cakes on here..so I am asking for much assistance and guidance!I have been asked to do a wedding cake for a co-worker's daughter to help out with the wedding. They want a simple cake, buttercream frosting, 3 tier with M&Ms on the side to decorate. Similar to the one posted below (purple). The anticipate the cake feeding 75 people. I was thinking of the tiers being 12, 10, 8 (assuming the top tier goes to the bride and...