Posts by TheSugarLab

I use Square for my register. We bought the stand to put the iPad in. It's nice because it looks like a register without the bulk. I can also track products, credit card payments, cash, check, gift certificates etc. And all of the reports are available online. Haven't had any complaints yet!
Yes… I know.. yet another sheet cake thread. I searched through old posts but I wanted to get more current opinions.    I hadn't put much thought into doing sheet cakes, especially for parities because people associate sheet cake with cheap (at least in my experience with customers thus far). However, I've been getting more requests for weddings so I thought I'd look into it.    I have a few questions:    1) What pans do you use? Brand, size etc? 2) Do you torte...
I just square and I absolutely love it! We do have a retail shop so the Square Register is wonderful. It allows us to put all of our products in and makes it easy to see what is selling. I also really like the reports you can run.    I have never had a problem with money not depositing. There was even a time where the credit card processing easy taking a significant amount of time (it was actually windy at the time so I just figured it was my internet connection). It...
Thank you everyone for your reply. Based on the responses, it seems like I'm giving too much away with the starting price. With weddings, most people say my prices are reasonable. It's the birthday part crowd that think I'm expensive. I also have a feeling that the other big custom cake shop in town prices her tiered birthday cakes differently than her tiered wedding cakes. I know her wedding cakes start at $6 per serving BUT I had a woman come to me for a cake quote and...
I hear those holiday inn expresses are great! I don't get to vacation much but I'll have to check them out! Hehe by pros I just meant other people who bake, whether for fun or profit. One of my customers asked if I had been able to do a milk chocolate and I told her about German chocolate and her eyes lit up. So thanks for the suggestion!
Hey folks,    I've had a few of my customers asking for a chocolate cupcake that is not dark chocolate. Based on what they have asked for, I'm thinking they are wanting a milk chocolate. I'm trying to think of ways to make is more of a milk chocolate cake without changing my cocoa powder. I've seen some that just fold in melted milk chocolate but I wanted to see what other pro's thought.    Thanks! Ali
I know many people have a starting price for their cakes. Like your cakes start at $4 per serving. What does your starting price include? I had a mother of the bride who was doing research and I was telling her about my starting prices and she kept asking what the included. Do you just look at the cake and determine if its a "starting price" cake or do you have specifics of what "starting price" includes? 
Completely agree with this! I have customers come to me all the time for last minute cakes. If I have the ability to perform them to the best of my ability, I have no problem taking them. Just yesterday I had someone order a two tier vertical ruffle cake for tomorrow. She completely knew that it was last minute and she actually had been waiting for a response from someone (bakers-answer your emails!!). I checked my calendar and it wasn't something I couldn't handle. If you...
I have a commercial kitchen with three stainless steel tables. They do wobble a bit when rolling fondant, so make sure if you ever have anyone helping you that they are rolling when you are trying to pipe. I have a long 8 foot table that's for prep, a four foot table for my mixers and microwave, and then I just got a  4 foot by 4 foot table for decorating. I haven't set it up yet though. 
Well the lady responded and said that she would have to pass because she doesn't know the day of the tea party. Then she mentioned that it is an allergy to "the oils that make up all of the varieties of vanilla extracts." I'm still confused about the allergy but at least I don't have to do it.