Posts by TheSugarLab

Thank you Barbara Jean!! That was very kind of you to say.
Yea I think it was a combination of how I layer it and just puttin too much. I did my icing dam differently that I have in the past and I think I made it taller than usual and this put more pb frosting. Do y'all had a standard amount you put in? Do you measure it each time of just eyeball it?
Thank you everyone for the feedback. It has been pretty hot and humid lately, which is unusual for Ventura county. I did use a cake board under the 6 in cake. The other thing I'm thinking is how my customer cut the cake. If she tried to cut the 10 in cake into wedges instead of squares like we all know.
Warning: This is a duplicate post from Cake Decoration but I wanted to get as much feedback as possible. Please excuse my poor forum etiquette. I delivered a beautiful two tier (6 in and 10 in) cake inspired by Finding Nemo this morning (I'm about to post a picture so go check it out). My customer just emailed me saying that everyone loved the look of the cake but: "it was way to sweet, there was so much frosting in the middle it overpowered the taste of the cake and the...
I delivered a beautiful two tier (6 in and 10 in) cake inspired by Finding Nemo this morning (I'm about to post a picture so go check it out). My customer just emailed me saying that everyone loved the look of the cake but: "it was way to sweet, there was so much frosting in the middle it overpowered the taste of the cake and the pieces just fell apart. So a lot of people didn't eat it, and that was a bummer. But it did look awesome." I know I can't be everything to...
I completely agree! I became an aunt at 11 and I remember my first niece just going to town on her slice of cake. We didn't do actual smash cakes yet then. But she was adorable with cake all over her face. Luckily, some did make it into her mouth. My other niece however just put her fingers in the icing and played a little with it. She didn't have as much interest. I've done a few first birthday cakes with a three-tiered cake and a small matching smash cake for the kiddo....
Glad I'm not the only one. My mom (and business partner) just said basically the same thing. F&F are great supporters, but sometimes they expect things for cheap or free. Just more reason to encourage strangers as customers.
OK.. time for me to vent. I've been open for almost five months now and I've dealt with several customers who end up going with a family friend. I go through the process of pricing things out and giving them several options for what they need (one was for a graduation party, and two were for weddings). Then a few days later, they get back to me saying that they are going to have their family friend make their cupcakes/cake, who I'm assuming, will do it for free. I...
Thank you for all of the ideas! I've thought about the clipboard system for my cake orders. I don't think it would be necessary for my cake or white chocolate popcorn orders.
Hi everyone, So if you haven't noticed from my other posts, but I am a newbie to the business aspects of cake decorating. Our shop is starting to pick up, which is great. I'm just scared that I am going to some how forget an order. Not to the point that a customer shows up and I don't have anything; more along the lines that I am not able to complete it to the best of my ability. Basically: how do you manage your orders? Are you old-school and write it down on a calendar...