Posts by TheSugarLab

I have had a few customers who say that they don't want fondant but then show me all fondant designs. Some of them would need to be done in fondant so if they are sitting down for a tasting (or even just standing at my shop's counter) I have no problem giving them a small sample of fondant. I always have it around since I use fondarific. Most are pleasantly surprised and end up going with fondant if their cake needs it.    Like everyone said, if you know the cake won't...
Hey guys,    I have a bride who is interested in a lace cake with the lace similar to this cake by Cotton and Crumbs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/39615881@N06/6481466041/in/faves-bakingdivaz/. I'm hoping to find a lace mold that is similar in style but I've never purchased one so I'm not sure where to begin. Anything close would be great!   Thanks!   Ali
I just redid my website on squarespace a few months ago. I do need to go update it but the fact that I can update it easily is great! They give you stats on how people are finding your website and which pages they are viewing (not many people read my FAQ page but hey! at least I can say it's there). It isn't free but its super affordable for what you get. You start out with a really nice template but then you can total customize where things go, what type of gallery you...
I'm with the people saying don't do it; if she can't afford for you to do everything then it isn't going to be worth it. Even if she is a good baker, things can go wrong and you would be the one who would have to fix it. It's great that she thought of you but she should also take into consideration your cost.    I am actually doing an out of town (two hours away) wedding cake from one of my friends from college. Soon after she was engaged, she emailed me about doing a...
I have a retail bakery as well as custom orders. I order weekly (sometimes twice a week, usually when I forgot something or underestimated how quickly we would go through things) from Chef's Warehouse. They're a smaller distributor than say Sysco or Dawn. I also supplement with trips to Costco to get both ingredients (specifically powdered sugar, which is twice as expensive through Chef's Warehouse) and other operating stuff like paper towels, ink, etc. I do sometimes make...
Most of my customers have no problem with SMBC for their cakes. I do have some that will specific request American buttercream and I have no problem doing it for them (its on one of our daily cupcake flavors so I always have it around, and my recipe uses butter). I just tell everyone that our standard is SMBC. At my wedding tastings, I try to make sure I have some on hand for them to taste as most people in my area haven't had it unless they've ordered a custom cake from...
One of the best quotes my sister told me is "All money is green". You don't have to like every one of your customers and as long as they are being charge appropriately it doesn't matter if they are a pain in the ass. Granted, if she wants more than what she wants to pay for, then she shouldn't get it. 
Oh yea! It's totally common for people to have different tastes. I love when I do tastings because its an easy way to get feedback on flavors. With my lemon cake, I have some people say its nice and light while others will say its very lemon. It just depends on people's palate.    If you are ever worried about a flavor, go with the general consensus. You aren't going to please everyone but if many people don't like something, then that's when you tweak it. 
I realized my first post wasn't clear. Whoops!    Here's what I'm thinking. Simple day before pre-orders for cupcakes that aren't custom (no custom flavor, no custom topper etc) can pay when they pick-up. It's something we can sell if for some reason they do not show-up. If a non-custom order is over $100, they would have to pay at least 50% at time of booking, and the remaining balance is due at pick-up. This would only be for non-custom items, which in our case would...
Hey guys,    I was just royally screwed by a customer last night. I can go into the details if you would like but basically she didn't pick up a $261 cupcake order that she first said "my secretary was supposed to call and cancel" and then "I never actually confirmed." She was so rude that it left me physically shaking after dealing with her on the phone.    Moving forward, we want to start invoicing or sending email confirmations so there is a paper trail when someone...