Posts by KLCCrafts

I've done the side by side comparison and yes, you do lose varying degrees of crumb quality when you replace the cake flour with AP or AP + potato starch (using starch being a closer approximation to the original).  Although they are all still delicious!  
   As a Mom to a one year old (made the cake myself, didn't stress it wasn't perfect), I couldn't help but chuckle at your post.  Brides probably are getting plenty of sleep and are pretty much focused on themselves most of the time -- Moms of one year olds, not so much. Doesn't excuse the crazy behavior, but perhaps explains it a little.
I hesitate to post my alterations to this recipe because I know the way it is written is the best way, but I regularly use King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour with a few tweaks.  I only do this because I have a personal mission to avoid bleached flour and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of the crumb consistency for this.   I basically replace 15% (by weight) of the cake flour called for with potato starch, and for the remaining 85% I use the Unbleached AP Flour.  In...
 Poor grammar and spelling definitely bother me too, but mistakes do happen to the best of us.  Anyone see the Cake Boss episode where they made a huge bowling alley cake and the N was backwards in the word LANES for the name of the alley, which was front and center and large?  I kept saying, how did they miss that, and why doesn't someone point it out? 
Depending on how many people have birthdays that month you could make a cake shape with the same number of sides and give each person a side with a few decorations that match their interests/hobbies.  So for 3 people a triangle, for 4 a square, etc. Then something generic on top like a bow.   Or what about doing smaller separate cakes?  Maybe featuring their first initial so they are all cohesive yet individualized?  Or instead of their initial you could do their age...
 Awesome idea, especially for a cake.  I've got a couple birthday cakes to make around Thanksgiving time, I'm definitely doing this for one of them. Thanks for sharing!
Wow that actually sounds really good -- I might need to try it.
Great, thanks.  Can't wait to try it.  The cranberries sound good to me!
    How many pecans do you add to the batter?  Or were you only referring to pressing them on the icing?
 Yep, I'd be interested too.  I'm hoping to get started with gum paste flowers and this info is great. Keep it comin'!