Posts by TheSweetTreat

Trust me, Bridgette, I know I live in Nashville and the normal rate around here seems to be about $10-15/hour. Our sitter is really great with the kids and for several other reasons we decided she was worth it. Our previous sitter asked for $10 and she was great too, but then she got pregnant We seem to have that effect on our sitters....they all go and get pregnant.BTW, I PM'ed you about that spreadsheet!
I wanted to come back in and post an update. I made SMBC a week ago and used a plastic bowl. I also heated my FRESH egg whites and sugar to 160 degrees. The meringue never whipped up so much that I could move it to one side and it wouldn't budge. I've never been able to do that for some reason. But, I carried on and added the butter and it came together beautifully. It was light and fluffy and delicious. Today I decided to experiment using my plastic bowl and...
I can't offer much help on this since I'm a hobby baker right now and also trying to figure out how much it costs me to make a cupcake or cookie. However, I can offer a tip on how to determine what your time is worth. I have two children and I'm a stay at home mom. A friend was talking to me about how much my time was worth and she told me to factor in what it would cost me to hire a babysitter to watch my children while I worked on the cupcakes and cookies. That...
PastryQueen, any updates? Did you do a taste test w/ your co-workers? How'd it go?
I was one of those that always assumed that any cake recipe could be made into cupcakes. I didn't have a disaster of my own to learn this, but just from doing so much reading online I found out that that wasn't always the case. But, I have been curious as well as to the differences in ingredient ratios, etc that make a cake cupcakeable I always figured it had to do w/ baking soda/powder that would allow the cupcake to dome..or stay flat. So, I'm curious about this...
When you say they've gone hard do you mean the entire cupcake or just the outer rim? I had some red velvet cupcakes cool off and the edges were over done. I put them in a bakery box and a slice of bread and then saran wrapped them whole box. Later that day the edges were soft again. The slice of bread releases moisture I suppose and helps soften up everything else around it. Works great with overdone chocolate chip cookies.
Just wanted to pop back in and say that I saved the buttercream! I didn't actually do anything The night before I needed it I sat it out on the counter. By that morning it was soft again and I just re-whipped it with the beaters of my hand mixer. It came together beautifully and thick enough to pipe onto cupcakes. I was so relieved. Swiss Meringue does seem to be pretty forgiving
Just wanted to pop back in and say that I saved the buttercream! I didn't actually do anything The night before I needed it I sat it out on the counter. By that morning it was soft again and I just re-whipped it with the beaters of my hand mixer. It came together beautifully and thick enough to pipe onto cupcakes. I was so relieved. Swiss Meringue does seem to be pretty forgiving
I am also looking for another Red Velvet recipe to try from scratch. The one I've used 3 times now seems so finicky. Maybe Red Velvet is finicky in general, but I seem to keep having problems. The tops get this white splotchy look about them even though I beat the heck out of the sugar and butter. (I read that white splotches is the sugar not being incorporated enough?) Then it's like baking peanut butter cookies where if you want a chewy cookie you have to pull them...
Update from me: The SMBC turned out beautifully....until I added some meltd bittersweet chocolate. I'm certain I added the proper amount, however the whole thing just deflated. I've put it into the fridge until I'm ready to use it and I'll rewhip it and see what happens, but I have a feeling my chocolate was too warm and it melted the butter. Can this be saved?