Posts by TheSweetTreat

Thanks Kakeladi!  Do you think it's safe to assume that the weight of the fondant frill won't make it fall off the styrofoam just using water?
Hello!   I have a question regarding fondant and dummy cakes.  I am making a 3 tier cake using ALL dummies that is all fondant frills from top to bottom.  Since the area under the frills won't be seen is it necessary to cover each tier in fondant first?  It would save some money to not have to cover the dummies in fondant first just to add a whole load of fondant frills on top.  I am also assuming you won't see any surface area under the frills.   I am trying to figure...
No, it's the forum.
I personally would freeze.  It's my understanding that the fridge can dry out cake, but the freezer should help lock in some moisture. 
JodieB, this is the recipe I use when I want something similar to SMBC without the fuss over a double boiler, etc.    http://cakecentral.com/a/fluffy-american-buttercream   It's Fluffy American Buttercream since it's sort of like SMBC in that it is soft and buttery, but like American buttercream in that it can use shortening and powdered sugar.  This has a nice mix of buttery and sweet, but not overly sweet at all.
 Thanks for posting this.  I've been wondering how to deal with this type of thing.  I haven't really sold any cakes yet, but if the time comes I'll insist on a solid system for myself of how to charge for cakes.  As a home baker I'm never really sure how to compare to those who aren't.   But that's a different thread altogether ;P
 I also wonder how home bakers take into account the difference in overhead from someone who actually owns a storefront or rents a commercial kitchen.  If I total up all of my costs from working in my home I'm sure it's going to be much less than someone who owns a store or rents a kitchen.  Their charge for a cake based on their numbers is going to be higher than the charge I would have based on my numbers.  So if based on my numbers I could charge $50 and the same cake...
I think the cake resembles the sketch well enough.  I see a few differences, but I imagine it depends on the customer whether they care or not.  It's likely they'll love the cake and you're worrying for nothing.  I say don't offer a discount up front.  By doing so you're saying there's a problem with the cake when really there's no problem with the cake at all except you don't seem to care for it.  It pretty much matches the sketch.  Maybe you could ask the customer when...
I'm curious about this as well. :)
Lizzie, would you be willing to share your dairy free cake recipe?  Thankyou!