Posts by Sarin

I do use cream of tartar for my recipes. Good to know. Will it affect setting times if I don't use COT?I use Wilton brand. Americolors aren't available near me, I'd have to order online and since I am just a hobby baker, Wilton is it.Thanks again.
Thanks for the recipe Janine! However, I only use egg whites for my Royal Icing. I will probably never switch to the powder. Do you know a recipe that is trusted that uses egg whites? I'll be making the icing today and I am a little worried about the outcome!I did do a test recipe and I put enough black in where I started to taste it, and it turned a purple grey color. It looks like you can't get true black without it tasting bad, even when starting with chocolate?
Great to hear! I wasn't sure because of the fact that we'd be adding fat content to the RI. I'll make a batch first before putting them on my cookies to be extra sure on texture and flavor.Thanks!!
Hi all!I am making some Royal icing Sugar Cookies for Halloween. I need a lot of black, and hate the taste. A very good suggestion is starting out with chocolate icing. However, I've never seen this for royal icing.My question is, if I add some cocoa powder to my royal icing recipe, will it still set the same? I need them to set hard like regular royal icing does.If not, do you have any other suggestions for good tasting (or tolerable) black royal icing?Thanks!!
Really??I JUST bought 3 mixes to try some doctored recipes for Easter. I always bake from scratch but decided to take the easier route this year.Hopefully the recipes still work! Now I am nervous.
I know this isn't a cake.. But I trust you guys as the best source for my answers!Every holiday I get asked for my Sweet Potato Pie. I am making a lot this Easter so decided to buy Crust instead of make it (oops. )However, I wasn't thinking and bought Graham Cracker crusts..The Sweet Potato takes 40-60 minutes to cook.. Will the Graham Cracker crust make it? Maybe if I put tinfoil on the edges?I'd just go out to buy more crust but 1. I don't like to waste, and 2. Graham...
Hey guys!I made lots of MMF for my mother's birthday cake on Janury 6th. I have a lot leftover, but don't cake very often. I'd love to use it for Easter. Will it still be okay to consume?I have each color separated in plastic wrap then sealed in a large ziplock, it's been stored in the pantry at room temperature.All it is really is Marshmellows, Water and sSgar. I doubt it'll go bad in 3 months?Whats' your take on this? It is just for my family.Thanks!
Either your Butter was too soft.. Or you added too much Milk.. That's all I can think of. I assume you were making American Buttercream.
Have you tried baking strips? That works for me.
If it were me I would do a base cake (grass, etc.) and then the lion sitting down. Have the body made of cake and make the entire head of rice krispie treats!Do show us a picture when it's done!