Posts by vgcea

I agree. Probably the bottom level are real cakes but the top would have to be dummies.
When discussing freezing vs not freezing OR baking well in advance, I think it is also important to pay attention to what types of designs or cakes a baker/decorator is producing. Cakes that are minimally decorated, single tier, non-3-D can be done the way scp1127 describes. But when you have a 4 tier wedding cake with super complicated decor or 3-D carving like BakingIrene described, baking the night before delivery is not a smart move. These are 2 completely different...
Thanks for breaking it down like that Jason. Just when I think I have this pricing thing down, I find something new to learn. I'm going to look into incorporating this and the suggestion Costumeczar brought up about working faster. I'm beginning to understand why some fancy shmancy cake decorators still provide simpler, less customized cakes for the clients on a budget. Using Costumeczar's example, three of those can be knocked out for more profit than one super...
AZCouture, I agree. I believe Jason's point is pointing at a way to encourage the customer to buy not necessarily more cake but just enough cake that we maximize the input that goes into the cake. For the example I used, I think finding a way to encourage the client to decide on 24 cupcakes per flavor rather than 12 would maximize what I put into the cake.Jason could you please expand on the bolded point? I don't quite understand.
That is a great idea Jason, thank you. Three of the flavors have a similar base, so I'll probably be able to knock those out together.
Great post AZCouture.I'm glad you brought up the topic as I feel it ties in to an issue I've been thinking about. I figure I'll go ahead and share it here.For an order I have next week I'll be making 6 dozen cupcakes in 6 different flavors with accompanying SMBCs i.e. one dozen of each flavor. I couldn't help thinking: It takes me just as much time/utilities/activities (clean up e.t.c) to make one batch of cupcakes (24) as it does a half batch (12), so for each dozen, I'm...
^^^
Nice save OP!
This ^"But, but on your website there are photos of some sheet cakes. What do you mean you don't do sheet cakes?" I try to accept only jobs that fit the business image I want to build and project. So I've had to turn down sheet cakes or copyright infringement cakes if the customer insists that's the only option they're willing to consider.
Thanks for the photos Cat. Those keys are such a nice touch. Good job!