Posts by Corinne77

I have a request for a standard marble cake. Can I just use my butter yellow cake recipe and my chocolate cake recipe and swirl them together? They bake in approximately the same time.   Thanks in advance for your help!!
For example, is the Wilton tip 1M the same as Atecco or Martha Stewart brands? Martha Stewart had a "tutorial" on a certain style using a certain tip and I was curious if my Wilton tip would be the same. Thanks!
Hi Sugarshocksweet! I have taken some Wilton classes. They are definitely great for beginners. I've also found a few other places and people who offer classes. Check out B Cakes by B Keith...www.bcakes.com. He offers classes in Falls Church. I can't remember the other names right now, but I'll post as soon as I find them.   Good luck!!   Thanks to everyone else for the responses. Now that I'm in VA and baking like crazy (and I got to my first ever cake show!),...
Loading on the frosting on and taking it off with a bench scraper definitely helped me out. I still have a ways to go to get it perfect, but I'm already so much better. I used SMBC last week and that was really easy, but it was hot in my house and the buttercream was very soft. Not sure if that helped or hurt me...  I have two cakes this weekend and will practice some more. One sheet cake and one small round cake.   Thanks again everyone!
Replying to an old post, but just in case someone else out there is looking...   I used Americolor Red Red and Violet mixed into a hot pink Fondarific pre colored fondant. It was almost an equal amount of red and violet...but just play around. I got a nice bright (yet darker, if that makes sense) eggplant color.
I love Cake Central and all it's members! Thank you all so much! I do have a bench scraper, but it's kind of small, so I got a larger one today. I will load on the frosting to begin and just smooth it off. All the tips were very helpful. I'll check out the videos, too.   Thanks again everyone!!!
Anyone have tips for smoothing buttercream? I know the water trick and the papertowel trick, but I really am just not good at it. Any advice would be awesome!! I love buttercream cakes that look like they are fondant.   TIA!!
Thanks - I agree! Watched a quick tutorial and it looks so simple. Going with the fondant.   Thanks for the responses!
I'm doing a safari cake this weekend and want the bottom tier to have a zebra print. What would be easier? Using fondant to make the zebra stripes or using a stencil and airbrushing?? If I do use fondant, does anyone have any tips or tricks?   Thanks in advance!!
Thanks everyone! I read some of the other threads and they were really helpful. Ellavanilla - it seems like it does take some time to get set up, but according to many posts, it's really worth it. Plus, I think there is a 10% discount from Cake Central. I hope you got to use it.   Jason - I'm pretty good with Excel. Not sure I'll use Turbo Tax for my taxes though, so that is something I'll need to consider with the Quickbooks recommendation.  Thanks!!   Thanks...