Posts by chaka1

Thank you so much for posting this. She needs 100 signatures and is at 79 right now.
Thanks Pam. Pass the info on to any other Illinois bakers/cooks or even friends that would be interested. This is so badly needed.
Knightsbridge-global in Aurora is a PME store. Meaning they only sell PME supplies. It's awesome. You can look at their items online and they also have classes. Very nice and helpful people working there. I went to CakeWalk Chicago and it's a very small store. I went with a list of things I wanted and they didn't have any of them. So call in advance. I haven't been to Delicious Creations....yet. I also buy high ratio shortening at Gordon Food Services (GFS). They don't...
A gal over at the Wilton site has put together a petition regarding updating/changing the Illinois Cottage Food Law. She needs your help in signing her petition. I think you have to be an Illinois resident, so if you are please read the petition below (it's only about 3 small paragraphs) and sign. It's actually not just for bakers. So Illinoisans please sign and pass it on to others to sign.   She says " I recently was contacted by a group that actually knows how to...
Try to not have the bottom row of cupcakes facing downward if you can, or they will get crushed even with a crusting type of icing. Maybe use some type of decoration between the cupcakes that are taller and will keep the plastic away from the cupcakes. I've used artificial baby's breath I picked up at a Michaels store. I don't know if you've made these before so I apologize if I say something you know already. I would also use a dark green tissue or even squares of green...
Yes, I put outlined items, on wax paper, on a small cookie sheet and then into the freezer. This way is lays flat and undisturbed. When ready, I peel off the wax paper and place onto the cake. I do this for some flowers sometimes too because it's easier for me to handle when they are frozen. Plus, it's easier to place them. I recommend you make a backup piece as well, in case one breaks while you are removing the wax paper. Good luck.
If you are going to use royal icing decorations on a buttercream cake, put it on as late as you possibly can otherwise it may soften up onto the cake. I don't like using royal that way. If I want to trace something I pipe onto wax paper using either melted chocolate or with buttercream (then I freeze it if it's buttercream). Good luck.
I bought a refurbished KA Professional 600 (6 qt) direct from kitchenaid about 8 years ago now and love it and have not had a single problem. I wanted a 6 qt mainly because of the size of the motor. It is a big mixer and has the lift bowl. Many times items are labeled "refurbished" when they really aren't. Some times the manufacturer made too many, or they are returned from a store that couldn't sell them all or they ordered too many, or various other reasons. In order for...
I know this is old but I love how this looks. I'm just wondering how do you eat them? Do you need a spoon or do you peel away the cup like you would a cupcake liner? Thanks.
Wilton has a good chart for figuring out how much you will need. I think the last column on right shows how much you need for various size pans.   www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm   Now the problem is figuring out how much frosting a recipe makes. I agree with others here to make more than needed. I freeze any leftovers and use for decorations, etc.