Posts by swishykitty

costumeczar - There is an "acceptable level of dog hair"  in home baked goods???  Ohhh myy! 
I have a neighbor who started a home based cake business and advertises on Facebook.  I asked her about the process to get licensed - Georgia now has Cottage Food Laws, and she laughed saying that she was not licensed and doubted that her kitchen would pass inspection.  Arrrggghhh, I would like to pursue being legit, but doubt it would be worth my while with so many like her out there.
Ooohh, just looked at your site, beautiful and delicious.  I wish I could apply - Duluth isn't that far away!, but don't think I have quite your skill set - yet.  Need another apprentice??????
      Cake I made for a wine tasting bridal shower for a dear friend's daughter.  Just a hobby baker who was inspired by a tutorial by Haniela. All fondant decorations except the "shreds" which are "dang" toasted coconut chips  tfl
I had a co-worker approach me and say " Oh, you make cakes, you should make my son's birthday cake.  He would like a viola."  Of course I should??!! Then she went on to say it would be a simple sculpted cake, and it could look more like a violin it didn't matter, oh and she would pay something of course. What??? I am a hobby baker, sculpted viola for the price of ingredients, best laugh I had all day!!!   Ranks up with a request from another co-worker last year who...
Check at your store / class location to see what is included in the Wilton Buttercream kit - they usually sell all the tips, practice boards, instruction book, etc, that you will use in your class in a kit.  Chances are you may already have many of the items.  You are asked to bring cupcakes so you can practice different techniques on each one - easier than on a cake to start.  Suggest you contact your class instructor and see what she may recommend, you can probably wait...
Thanks K8memphis -    That cake was many firsts for me - 1st tiered, 1st wedding, plus was still recuperating from shoulder surgery.  It was such a joy to make and give, and the bride's reaction was more than I could have hoped for.  And, yes, I want that stand too! - I'm working on it!!!!
Thanks all, you are so correct, please excuse my moment of venting.  The facts are:  the cake turned out as I envisioned, the bride cried when she saw it, everyone - including the venue staff raved over how good it tasted, the pictures did belong to my friend, the cake was a gift, and Beatriz Ball may use the picture of it in some of their advertising,  all in all very good things.  I was taken aback by my friend's actions - she could have introduced me to the designer,...
I recently made a cake for my best friend's daughter's wedding - my gift to them.  The cake was designed to go on a cake stand that was given to my friend by a manufacturer of high end metal serving and party ware. My friend and I both work at one of the large wholesale gift markets.  The manufacturer of the cake stand has a large presence at this show, with the designer and nation wide sales reps attending.  My friend gave them a picture of my cake on their stand to show...
cheeseball - soy bean oil is usually ok if the issue is soy allergies, it is the protein or the lecithin that is the allergen part of soy and can be life threatening.     My friend's daughter has life threatening soy allergies and it is amazing, and dismaying, to see how many products use soy as fillers - vitamins, candy, broths...It is a challenge to bring food to their get-togethers, it has given me a real lesson in label reading!   hbquikcomjames! - I agree about...