Posts by 61999

Thank you SO much!
Any advice on inserting real flowers into cake for a cascading effect as in this picture?  What do I need to tell the florist or request from him/her?  Food safety?  Is floral tape safe to wrap around floral picks and then insert into cake?  I heard some folks wrap the floral pick in masking tape or regular gift wrapping tape...but I'm thinking this is not food safe.   How DO you find out if a product is toxic or food safe anyway???  
Can anyone tell me if there are any pros and/or cons to having an EIN # aside from not paying sales tax?  Do you pay the sales tax later?  How does it work?
Thank you!
Making a sculpted cake covered in fondant which calls for several edible images.  Has anyone refrigerated these before?  I also posted the refrigerating brushed embroidery question. I place my fondant cakes in Styrofoam boxes and in the fridge with no issues.  Keeps the cakes really firm and easy to work on the following day.   But have not tried with edible images.  Anyone??
Has anyone done brushed embroidery on fondant cake and refrigerated overnight? If so, what results did you get?   I refrigerate my fondant cakes in a box and have not had any issues, but need to do a good amount of BE on some coming up and paint on it.  So hoping to do the night before and paint the day of....
I have a bride who does not want eggs in her cake and says she uses egg replacer.  Has anyone used this?  Can I substitute it 1 for 1 to the eggs?  How does it compare?   Thank you!
Yes, I hear you!  Well, the "demo" cake I am doing will serve as the birthday cake, so I figure some of the kids might just like to watch some of that. I am sure that after doing it a first time I either may never want to do this type of thing again or get better pointers for next time.
Yes, I felt like $250 was low too.  I already told the mom and have agreed on this price.  But moving forward I will raise this.  I will look at this first time as a learning experience and based on what I go through will adjust accordingly.  I also found where you can order kids chef hats and aprons pretty inexpensive and will offer as an add on for additional charge.   Thank you all for your input!  I love coming to this forum to bounce ideas off of all of you.
I have been approached to do a cake decorating party (2hours) for a kid's birthday (10 kids).  The idea is I would prebake little cakes, travel there (about 35 minutes drive), brings tips/icing/spatulas/etc. and show the kids how to decorate their own little cake (a 6"maybe?).   I'm thinking this could easily turn into: 3 hours of pre-event labor (shopping/baking/cleaning) 70 minutes travel round trip 2 hours for the actual event 1/2 hour clean-up after   Does...