Posts by abchambers

Yeah I agree with the others...just list a few of the popular ones. I find that most people just want white or chocolate anyway. But then you always have a customer here and there that wants to get creative. You could always have a separate page that offers all your flavors for anyone that asks for it. Just offer a disclaimer: "For a complete list of flavors, please contact me".
I always tell the customer that there are dowels so they're not surprised, but they'll be able to tell where they are.....they should see the tops of them.
Thanks for the input guys! I guess last minute was maybe the wrong phrase. For me, I start preparing (such as baking and freezing cakes) a week out, so I guess it's more of a time crunch than anything. Plus I'm a planner, so I like to be able to have atleast 2 weeks to plan/put together a cake. Just wish I had the luxury of devoting more time to cakes and less time on a full-time job!I told her I could do it, mainly because I could use the money and practice And its...
It seems to be happening a lot lately - someone sends you an email asking if you can do a cake. Oh, by the way I need it a week from today! I guess they think it can be whipped up in one night???? Well I get one of these today. They want a "3-D princess cake" that feeds about 25 people. And of course they need it next Saturday the 14th. My first instinct is to turn them down. I do work a day job that takes up a huge chunk of my day. And I have a cake this weekend and the...
Oh and I also used a 12, 10, 8 combo
I recently did a texturized wedding cake just like this. I have a picture of it in my gallery (it's the 3-tier with flowers and a B monogram topper). I basically followed the same procedure I always do (crumb coat, and then a couple of extra coats with drying time in between), except I obviously don't spend a lot of time "perfecting" the smooth texture. Instead of using a bench scraper on the sides, I just use a spatula to texturize. The main thing I focus on is making...
Found a couple of articles that might be of use.This one is for an iron, but possibly could still be a troubleshooting guide for just a steamer. Maybe if you google your exact brand/product there could be a more specific guide: http://www.ehow.com/about_6497256_steam-iron-leak_.htmlAlso found a steamer sock. Maybe its possible to put panty hose over the end to save $15??? Worth a shot I...
It depends on what state you live in. A lot of states have a cottage food law that allows people to sell selected baked goods out of their home (such as cakes, pies, cookies, etc.). Unfortunately some states don't have this and require that any baked goods for sale must be produced in a commercial kitchen, or some kind of kitchen that is up to a certain code. A good place to start would be to contact your local health dept. They can give you more information. Also, any...
If it looks dry, then it is dry. The cracking just further proves that. Try adding some moisture.....I find that adding some shortening helps (not too much tho). Also, the more I knead the fondant, the less dry it seems to be when I get it all rolled out. And sometimes, ya just get a bad box of fondant (if you buy yours) that no amount of kneading/moisture seems to help and you just have to throw it out. Hope this helps!
Thanks so much! I'll have to do a search on all those things associated with a 12-year anniversary!