Posts by tdovewings

I love my agbay. I got it a few months ago.  I work with a lot of soft cakes and I've had no problems. In fact many of the cakes have been eggless. I always torte/level cold cakes. Not sure if that makes a difference. 
Sixinarow, all those cakes are just beautiful. How in the world did you get the rope to stay on the side of the cake?    OTCakes, very lovely!  Nice job with the box top too, those are tricky!   Ducky, nice cake, I love the rope!      Here's the rest of my Thomas the Train party. These parents went all out for this party, they invited our family, and we stayed. It was such a big order, I didn't take any others this week.  All in all, 90 cookies, 36 cupcakes...
Cat Congratulations! How exciting!     I've been working on these 90 Thomas the Train cookies for party favors.  I have the theme song for that show stuck in my head, it is haunting me. After this project, I never want to see this Thomas the Train character again.   My bad decision was to go belly dancing with some of my stay at home mommy friends tonight. Thankfully, I finished all the piping on the cookies before dancing, but my arms are so tired and sore...
Awww! Sorry to hear about your bad day. There will be other days that make you feel like a superstar sitting on top of the world. Until then, GIANT HUGS!
I don't know what the cottage food laws are where you are but you have to keep in mind the barrier to entry is relatively low especially when you can do it from home. Additionally, learning to decorate is becoming easier and easier with the wealth of information available free on-line and the ease of getting professional tools and equipment.  There will always be the low ballers out there, people that make their own cakes, and grocery stores--it's frustrating, but it's...
Also, have you spoken with your chamber of commerce? It might not be your ideal location to begin with, but they are often good at helping find deals in areas they want to develop. 
Cat, I love the cake.  I can't imagine heat like that. I grew up in Louisiana were the humidity was really bad, I don't know how you can decorate in those conditions. It was a light week for me. Much needed after last week's slam.   An all organic first birthday smash cake for a photo-op. The mom and baby were just darling and it made me reflect on how much joy I get from this line of work. I must say, even though cake decorating is darn hard work, I love, love the...
Most of my customers are allergic to tree nuts or peanuts. Of the many customers I've had only one was allergic to coconut. Some avoid it, and some aren't concerned. Everyone is different.  I also have a peanut and tree nut allergy but I'm good with coconuts too.  You really just need to ask if it is okay, most are thankful that you do ask.   It is super confusing since the FDA has recently declared coconut to be a nut when the scientific community considers it a...
Gold Star Mom, your story is beautiful and encouraging. Cake decorating has been away for me to escape to. I started because I couldn't find a baker to make a cake that was dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, and soy-free for my allergic children it is was a stress reliever for me, being home all day with 3 toddlers . It started as a hobby, but now it's a part-time business.    DelicoiusDesserts, I don't know what you are talking about, that is a beautiful cake. I...
Sorry I missed you all last night. I couldn't take a break. I've being working on two cakes that where both a serious challenge. I'll post an update later today with pictures. My first 4-tier wedding cake and a cake for Icing Smiles. Still working this morning, both with early deliveries, then I can breathe.