Posts by tdovewings

I'm half asleep I guess.  I totally read the post wrong. Disregard my response. 
I would also add 1 TBS of water or other liquid for every 1/2 cup of shortening to compensate for the liquid that is in butter. 
Ruthie, I love the Ninja Turtle cake, it is perfect!   Smitty, that is one gorgeous cake.    Here's the Minecraft cake I did for a 12th birthday party. It was so awesome the birthday boy sketch the cake out for me in his "cake consult". It was the best, he wanted to meet with me to go over his cake, and teach me about Minecraft. It was so darling! What I really wanted to do is invite him over and let him help me with the cake, but I'm not sure that would have went over...
Ummmm truffles! I love working with chocolate, it so beautiful to look at when the chocolate is all melted, silky and smooth.   Right now I'm fighting with a quinceanera cake. I covered two tiers in fondant no problem, the bottom tier is giving me fits. I covered the 14" the first time, started stenciling and notice a giant air bubble, that has never happened to me before, I cut a slit to let the air out, but instead the air bubble kept growing and starting tearing the...
Wow Ducky! That's an awesome cake.
Paperfishes, you did an excellent job! If you keep practicing you will get better. My piping is still little to be desired but I've made great strides since trying 2 years ago.     This week as been less about cake and more about putting out fires. I've been through supplier hell this week. One supplier completely forgot to load my shipment on the truck and they only come once a month. This left me high and dry as I had to buy 3 cases of vegan powdered sugar from the...
  Okay, I must have miss calculated somewhere because I made no where near that amount of frosting this weekend for over 300 cupcakes. I have to go back to my notes when use to make smaller batches. Let me check on it and get back to you. Ignore my previous post.
 What type of buttercream are you using. Since I primarily use American Buttercream for my cupcakes, which tends to be much sweeter, I use about half as much as I would with a Swiss or Italian Meringue buttercream. Most people put a lot more frosting on their cupcakes than I do. For my American buttercream I use the recipe that essentially is 1 cup of fat to 1 lb of powdered sugar. When I use that recipe it makes enough frosting for a about 30 cupcakes for me. So if I...
Funny that you say that, because I find the colored Satin Ice fondant to work quite well, even the ivory, but not white.
Yes, something has changed! It not what it use to be. I've inquired several times and they ask for the lot number to check it out and they always come back with some tips they have posted on their website. They keep saying they haven't changed anything, but I don't believe them. It only does an okay job if I have an old bucket of Satin Ice that has been sitting around for about 6 months.