Posts by tdovewings

I now see what I wrote is very confusing. I don't make a key for each letter. I basically indent the fondant by scoring it with the veining tool to make the keys.  I actually did one a couple of days ago. Here's a close-up of the keyboard. But you could do the letters too and pipe over them.  
Here are the pictures form this week's cakes. The 1st was supposed to be a nerdy 40th birthday cake. However, 2 weeks before the 4-year old son and his mom called me to ask if I could some how incorporate Buzz and Woody in the design. It was a stretch, but here it goes, the Aliens making their "40" in binary while Buzz and Woody attempt to hang a 40th Birthday sign.      Next up are cupcakes for a bird house making craft party.        Finally, a plain birthday...
I'm not even sure how you accomplished this with your hand. When I get minor craps I can't do anything, you're amazing! I'm sure you are taking it easy, but just in case. Take care and I hope you get back to full capacity very soon!
You did such a wonderful job, right down to the bustle in the back, I love all the details!
I don't make each single letter. When I do keyboards, I take a thicker piece of black fondant, and cut it into the keyboard shape. I print out a image of a template keyboard. Then I put the keyboard template on top of the black fondant and score the letters in with the veining tool. I think remove the paper template, and score each letter a bit deeper with the veining tool. You have to work fast, so the fondant won't crack while detailing the shape with the veining...
Hi! After a slow January ( a few small orders here and there), the February orders are falling right in place. In fact, we are nearly booked for custom cakes thru April. I guess people really do take January off from parties, desserts, etc. For tomorrow I'm working on a laptop 40th birthday cake with an odd twist. I need to incorporate Toy Story in the theme.  The results will be interesting, I think I got a  bit over my head on this one. It seemed like an easy cake, but...
When I think about approaching volume discount and wholesale pricing, you think about efficiencies that are realized when selling a larger quantity. On small orders, say 1 dozen cupcakes, you are going to work on them for  1-hour. If you pay yourself $15 an hour, your cupcake starting price is at least $15.  However, does it take much longer to make 4 dozen cupcakes. Not really, so you divide the labor cost  of $15.00 across  4 dozen cupcakes, making the labor cost for...
Forjenns, what a wonderful job on the cake and cookies! They are too cute.   anaelisabethlee, great job on the giraffe cake. My 2014 goal for cakes is to take a class or two in figurine modeling and to practice some 3D figures like animals and people.   Here's the 2D Hunny Pot cake:  
Happy New Year everyone!   Hello! It's been quite some time since I've been here. The fact of the matter is, I've been procrastinating so much lately, leaving no time to take a break and check in.    I just finished up a "Hunny Pot" 1st birthday cake and cupcakes. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I took the order, the client wanted a 2D gluten-free cake carved into the shape of Winnie the Pooh's honey pot. I carve cakes quite often, but never a gluten-free one....
I sympathize with you! I have twins that will get really sick if it is even in the same room with them. Dairy-free is a hard one, but if you make it right now one will ever know! I'm in the same boat as you. The funny thing is, I know butter tastes funny in cakes and buttercream now. Thanks for sharing, I had no idea canned frosting was dairy-free, a nice short cut for the future! I typically use a dairy-free yogurt in place of the liquid in mine to give it a tangy/sour...