Posts by arlenej

It doesn't really matter cause it'll be covered. It's unlikely your fondant'll so thin the underlying colour'll show through. But if you want to err on the side of caution, you could.
Yes you can mix. When you have time, experiment. And practice, PRACTICE.
Do a taste test of the both to make sure you like it/them. For tall cakes I use packing crates if they're stacked or put each tier in a cakebox and assemble on site. But notice how on t.v shows they hardly ever use boxes ?
Could you possibly purchase peacock feathers? From a craft store maybe? If not, check out http://cakecentral.com/gallery/329413/peacock-cake.
That seems about right.( It may actually be too much, cause those are pretty small cakes.) Order that amount; as a member of the club the excess'll be used up eventually...
Check out http://cakecentral.com/gallery/34174/christening-cake. I am thinking a two-tier cake, maybe a 16" and a 12", with the 12'' being a replica of the topper here. You should be able to work in quite a few decorating genres. You can do a baby (F.I No.5 is good) and an angel if you're unsure about crosses and chalices.
Check out Mayen or Aine2 on Youtube for making fondant figures. Hopefully you have enough time to practice. I would usually use gumpasate though, for something that size. And still dowel it
The height of the cake would determine the process used for me. But for something like that I would do like Bakencake said but I'd do the base first and then the dome. What I did a couple times was measure EXACTLY and then thin/bevel the edge so thet when it came time for the seam, it was barely noticeable.
You SIMPLY MUST wait till the cake is thawed before applying fondant. That it's already iced is a huge bonus. Applying fondant to cold cake causes condensation and you get a sticky, icky possibly runny fondant.
Isomalt for sure. Do you have a SASSIE? Having one makes life with isomalt way easier, but if you don't just pour the boiled isomalt into a glass cup with a pouring lip and fill up your molds. There's a recipe for isomalt gems on [url]sugarcraft.com.[/url]