Posts by sweets2thesweet

Cottage Food bakers, what's your take on insurance for your "bakery"?  Has anyone bothered?  Can you add it to your home-owner's policy?  Anyone had problems from not getting insurance?  I mostly want to get a Cottage Food permit so I can send cupcakes to my kids' school classes.  I'm not sure I would make enough money to cover increased insurance costs.
There's been increased activity lately, so I'm expecting (hoping!) it will be out soon.
I'm sure most people would be understanding if they were having problems getting the magazines out.  I just wish they would tell us why it's not coming. And yeah, maybe offer a refund for those who don't want to wait.
I've been wondering this exact same thing! (In fact I found this thread searching to see if someone else had commented on how long the magazine is taking.) It seems like they must be having some kind of problems.  Maybe they could use some help?  Dear CC editors, if you are reading this, I would gladly offer my editorial services, free of charge, if you are needing an extra set of hands to get the magazines out. :)
MMF is your quickest and easiest (and cheapest) option.  That's what I use for most birthday cakes.  It tastes like marshmallows and is easy to use.  But it has a matte finish and is off-white in color.  For wedding cakes when I need something white or smoother and more consistent or when I'm wanting those dark reds and blacks I use purchased fondant.  You don't EVER want to use Wilton fondant.  It's nasty and hard to work with.  There are a ton of other fondant brands. ...
Turned out great!
So after trying several times with my one pair of semi-experienced hands, I gave up and wrapped it.  It's not exactly what I wanted, but will be okay.  I'm eager to try again next time with some tylose or gumpaste mixed it.  That might just be the trick!  Thanks everyone for your advice!
Any suggestions for draping, though?  Paneling isn't quite the look I'm going for.  (But thank you, Sarah! :) )
I've seen it done, the beautiful cakes covered in flawless fondant with pristine sharp edges, so I know it's possible.  How do you drape extra-tall tiers in fondant without the fondant tearing?  I don't really want to do paneling.  Is it better to have stiffer or softer fondant?  Is it better to roll it a little thick or pretty thin?  Any advice would be wonderful!  Thanks!
No idea, but I'd like to hear the answer too! :)