Posts by virago

I was referring to the AmeriColor Super Red gel paste...but I believe they also make a powder.
I've never seen or read anything suggesting adding melted candy/chocolate to RI...but I did read tip (in a CC thread I think) about adding a small amount of cocoa powder to RI, then red coloring, the a period of rest to allow the color to darken. I tried it in combo with Wilton (No-Taste) Red gel and it worked quite well.   Then I purchased some AmeriColor Super Red, and had no trouble getting deep red RI without the cocoa powder trick. In fact, I had to be careful not...
 you MUST use an oil-based coloring otherwise your candy/chocolate will seize
 Yep, all buttercream! Thanks for the praise @Apti!!!
 try thinning it with paramount crystals...I think the addition of shortening would have undesirable effects on the modeling chocolate/candy clay.  
 PB/Choc ABC recipe: 3/4 C creamy peanutbutter1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp1/2 C veg shortening2 TS vanilla extract6 C (1.5 lbs) confectioners sugar, sifted1 heaping TBS meringue powder3-5 TBS whole milk (guestimate, for thinning)1-3 TBS cocoa powder (taste preference) - using a stand mixer, with paddle attachment, cream pb, butter, shortening until smooth- add vanilla extract- gradually add powdered sugar a cup at a time, scrape bowl often- add 1 TBS milk and meringue...
why would you want to thin out the candy? its just going to seize up as soon as you add the corn syrup...that is what it is supposed to do.   you really don't want the candy to be hot when you add the corn syrup, otherwise you might experience separation issues. melt the candy slowly, keeping it warm (not hot), until it is smooth. even if it is thick, as long as it is smooth it should be fine. add the corn syrup and stir; it will be an arm workout once it starts to...
 Thanks for the cake kudos MBalaska! Yes, the pb, choc, banana combo was OH SO GOOD! so rich, so decadent!
I agree, the "Best Ever Banana Cake" recipe is AWESOME! -- http://dessert.food.com/recipe/best-ever-banana-cake-with-cream-cheese-frosting-67256   It does not need to be 'freezered'; it's moist from the start and stays that way even over days in the frig. it is a very rich cake!   I bake it low and slow, just like the recipe says, in 2 NordicWare 9x2.5" rounds, parchment lined bottoms, flour-sprayed sides, cake-strip wrapped pans. the cakes rise almost to the top of...
 you are likely over heating the candy and scorching it...if so, they're pretty much a goner. heat candy slowly until it has partially melted, then slowly stir to melt the rest, then begin adding the paramount crystals. candy and bowl should never feel hot, only warm. I rarely use Wilton candy melts all by themselves; the flavor is just too strong. But when I need dark colors, I mix candy melts with Plymouth Pantry almond bark, then add oil-based candy coloring if needed...