Posts by coloradocache

I know I'm going to need to put supports in this cake to keep Bob from toppling over.  I really don't want to ask my husband to make me something out of wood with a metal support screwed into it, that just seems so heavy and cumbersome.  I'm trying to think of possibly some type of baking or cooking utensil (round metal base with a spike sticking up the center of it) that I could use instead.....am I dreaming or does something like this...
Thanks winniemog, I got ahead of myself when I posted my reply, I can see where letting the fondant dry ahead of time would make placing the cake easier..   I so appreciate everyone's help!
Thanks for the suggestions - I always make sure to use those coupons - saving every little bit sure helps.   Covering the board with fondant makes sense - I always have some left over that I don't know what to do with.
Microwave turn tables - you go girl!!!  I didn't realize Michaels carried cake drums... definitely going to check both options out!    Thanks so much
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions - I never thought of covering the boards with fondant!  That's perfect and I love the thrift store idea! 
I always use a plate or cake stand to set my cake on that I make for my family  but I have a customer order for a cake and don't want to spend a lot of $ on the cake base that I'll never get returned and the client won't appreciate or use again.  What should I use to place my cake on - a cake board or cake drum (which is a lot more expense)?  And I see such clever patterns cakes sit on that seem to match the theme of the cake - is there a class to teach how to accentuate...
Thank you for all of your input.    I just checked the fondant I made to cover the cake with and it's already faded too -  just not as much.  Sounds like I just need to start over - only thing is - what brand of color should I use - or I guess I just have to be careful to keep the cake out of the light after it's covered.  Funny, all the cakes I've made have been for my grandsons so I was so looking forward to making a cake that was pink - who would have thought "pink"...
Thank you both.  I don't have an airbrush so I think I'll try painting the color on.  If nothing else, I guess I'll be making a new bow
I made the most awesome mmf fondant and colored it with Wilton's pink color for a Minnie Mouse cake 1 week ago.  I added some Wilton's tylose to a portion of the pink fondant to make the bow yesterday.  I looked today and the bow has already faded to almost white while drying!  By the time the cake is due next week, I'm sure the color will be totally gone.  What do I do?  Use Americana coloring and recolor my fondant?  Mix the Wilton pink coloring with vodka and paint my...
It's so adorable - please let me know what you ended up doing to make Minnie.  I'd love to see your finished cake - I have an order for a Minnie Mouse cake for a 1 year old next month.  Thanks!