Posts by megpi

Very cute, I don't know why but I'm loving the little fence.  Thanks! I do probably between 20-30 cakes a week with decoration, and a ton more without, but I work at a bakery full time. My position is as a cake decorator, so depending on the day I either come in and get all our a la carte cakes ready for the day before working on decorating orders, or if I'm in later I usually just jump on orders right away. Most of the week I'm the only one doing cakes, then for friday...
Recent cake, one of my favorites. 
Just throwing up some pictures of what I did for the weekend. I did a few other cakes but didn't take any pictures of those.   This is possibly one of my favorite cakes ever, it's based off of Oaxacan embroidery.     And for fun, a s'more pie I made for my boss' birthday, unfortunately, I didn't realize we recently got rid of out torch and couldn't brown the top.
 I think salt is the key to making an american buttercream less sweet. I add about 1/4 oz of salt for every 1 1/2 lbs. of powdered sugar I use. I do like my stuff on the salt side, so it may be more than you like, but adding salt makes a world of difference in not just reducing the sweetness, but also bringing out more flavors.
99% of my cakes are all buttercream. I've done a handful with decorations made out of fondant and/or marzipan, but those are few and far between. Some of my recent work:                                      
I like to just use parchment rounds that are the same size as the cake board the finished cake is on. They keep the board from getting oily but don't stand out.
The funny thing is, scharffen berger's owned by hershey's now
It's slowed down a bit after v-day but we still had some decent cakes this weekend. I had a crazy day when I got a call telling me I didn't schedule an opener, but it was easily fixed. We also had a tour come through on tue. from the retail bakers association convention which was a bit nuts. I'm also throwing in 2 from last weekend because I'm proud of them.                        
KopyKake for sure. The bags are a little softer so I find them easier to work with, and they don't have the seams like the rolls of bags do.