Posts by DangerousCupcake

I stopped in a local cakes place last week and was really surprised to see her cupcake prices. My guess is that her main business is wedding/party cakes, and they bake the cupcakes out of the leftover batter. Not sure of course, but they had numerous boxes of cupcake six-packs in the counter, and the prices were scary cheap. We live in a major tourist town on the coast, and the surrounding small towns are rural, so there's not a lot of competition here because of tourists...
What kind of cupcakes are you making? Are you considering a custard-type filling, jelly, chocolate, curd, etc.? There are so many good fillings, it depends on whether you want the kind where you core the center of the cupcake or if you want to inject it, for starters. So many options, all depending....
Thanks for the reply! I visited the mall this morning and actually ended up with one of those -- sale/score! Just in time for my next order of cupcakes on Friday.
I need to buy a new insta-read thermometer for frosting but there are so many out there now, it's tough to choose. I'm moving cross-country in a few months so I'd like to keep the cost under $20. (I'm trying on one hand not to buy anything new now, yet I know I won't be splurging for a while until we're settled, so I have this urge to buy everything now!) I did a forum search but didn't find a recent thread on this, and the candy therms aren't quite what I'm in need of....
Gorgeous! (And very inspiring -- I want to try to make some like this!)
I've done chambord in the frosting when using berry filling/flavoring in the cake. Obviously doesn't work if you're doing them for a kids' party but tasty if it is for adults!
I hope this is okay here and not in the cake folder, but I am a cupcake baker so I look for cake recipes that I can use as cupcakes. What are your favorite cookbooks? I need to buy one for a friend of mine and I have all the cupcake books out there, but few cake recipes cookbooks. To help her get started, with a different book than one of mine that she can borrow, what are your suggestions? I tried to search here on the forums rather than ask, but I got 1482 responses and...
I'm going to answer my own question! I checked all over, and the only places that had all the tips in stock that I needed (some were specialty) were Wilton directly, and sugarcraft.com. I found some other great places to order from, but shipping everywhere, for something as small as tips, was still ridiculously high. (My teen daughter has an online book sale business so we are pretty familiar with the cost of shipping, and I can mail a pretty heavy 8x11 book for less than...
Did you ever happen to find any supply stores in this area? I'm looking as well and it's a dead-end. I'm stuck with ordering online. I'm moving back to the west coast soon, I can't wait, so much more there by way of both clientele and supplies!
I really loved this way of doing it, as I did have a few leftovers once and the cones weren't as firm as I'd like, and kids don't want mush. But, does anyone have any good suggestions on how to transport these? I recently did 2 dozen for a garden party and it was awful getting them from kitchen to customer. I also noticed they were getting knocked down on the display tray in her kitchen. They don't fit in the typical cupcake tiers, tried that too. Any ideas?