Posts by deuceofcakes

Sharon Zambito has a video on perfect buttercream that you might want to get.  She talks about how to deal with frosting problems too.   I don't generally use american buttercream, but she does and I've watched the video and thought it was well done. As for the top tier sliding, did you dowel down from the top tier through to the cake board?  That provides stability during transport.  Have you done many tiered cakes before?  You might have had an issue with improper...
I'm not outraged about the fake cake. I was annoyed that Cake Boss got so much acclaim and praise from it while both the museum that tossed the fake cake and the Cubs baseball team got widely panned for wasting food and had to apologize for tossing "perfectly good" cake in the trash.  Of course they all knew it was fake. But Buddy comes out looking like a cake genius when really, in this case, he's just great with a glue gun. (Oh yeah, and self promotion.  He's a certified...
Finally!  USA Today posts an article condemning the fake cake!!   http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/cubs-cake-sham-pathetic-sad-embarrassment-travesty-chicago-wrigley-field/
Did you see the Carlo's Bakery (Cake Boss) Wrigley Field cake they made for the baseball field's 100th anniversary?   They said it took 5 bakers several days to make it, and it weighted 400 lbs.  The cake was displayed at the field on Wednesday April 22, and then at a celebration afterward at a museum.  Then photos surfaced of the cake in a dumpster.  People have been outraged -- how dare they waste all that good cake by throwing it away??    But take a look at the...
In the nicest possible way, may I suggest you take a look at this Wilton page on cake basics?   http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/  I mean this to be helpful, not mean or critical. Based on the questions you've been asking on Cake Central, it sounds like you are very anxious about making a tiered cake, and that website is helpful. I use and have used a lot of different sources to educate myself over time (and it has been years now and I'm still learning). Here are...
There's another thread on this topic from earlier today.  Take a look. 
You can't just put meringue buttercream on your mixer when it is very cold or you'll get the results you got.  You have two choices: 1) let it sit out and warm to room temp, in which case it will whip up just fine, or 2) get it close to room temp by other means.  The butter needs to be soft enough to remain emulsified, which means it can't be hard.  Think spreadability.  Really cold butter from the fridge would tear bread if you tried to spread it, right?  But once it...
I am in NY and have a lovely NY based client who called me looking for a bakery recommendation in southern Florida (Fort Lauderdale area) for a celebration she is going to there. She strongly prefers a scratch cake, possibly a 3-D cake or a 3-D topper for her adult son's birthday. She loves to bake so flavor is very important to her, but she also wants it to look good. Does anyone know someone in southern Florida they can recommend? Any advice is appreciated.
So glad your sense of humor works well too!
I know who you are Jaime... I was just testing to see if YOU know who you are. Good thing you passed that test. Phew! Too much sugar makes you loopy sometimes, ya know? (That is too funny. Sorry about that!)