Posts by cakecoachonline

Cake help needed from CakeCoachOnline.  If you were searching for cake pricing help on Google, Bing etc - what exactly would you type into the search bar in order to find the help you were searching for?  It would really help to know as there are so many possibilities.  Thank you in advance.
This thread reminds me - I must get some more of my girlfriends stories from her to tell you.  She runs a cake decorating shop - and everytime I see her she has another tale to tell.  So watch this space.  Kx
I have a friend who runs a cake decorating shop.  She did a royal iced wedding cake (not so common these days)  And after the wedding the bridal party all said how pleased they were etc. etc.   Eight months LATER - the bride, groom and her parents pitched up at the shop with a tier - saying that the icing was too hard to cut and that they wanted their money back.   My friend took the offending cake into the kitchen got an ordinary knife and cut through it like butter. ...
I think one of the best things before even going away and spending time costing a cake, is to discover just how much the potential customer is thinking that they will have to pay.  By having some example pictures and saying the approximate cost of the designs created previously, they will understand the very rough cost they are looking at.  It is all about making the customer feel comfortable with their choice - and understand that it takes a lot of time to create these...
I think that the people that gasp at the cost per slice of cake when quoted at a really reasonable price for a hand crafted cake which has taken hours of loving labour to make - are in fact the same people who sit in nice coffee shops happily tucking into slices of cake at £4.00 a slice.  If you quote £4 x as many servings that they want - they are aghast and wonder how you can charge THAT much.   So how does that work then?    Just a thought!  
I love it - that you took the cake back.   I would have loved to see the expressions on their faces too.   Some people are so cheap aren't they.   So I guess the solution is that we must all aim for a better type of customer - hopefully who are both truthful and honest too.  Kx 
You still need to decide how long the item will take to make - and put a value on your time and charge this out too.  You also need to be aware of other costs, like petrol to go shopping, delivery costs, and if you are cooking, gas and electric (although this version is probably uncooked??)  So just charging the cost of the ingredients has given you nothing for your time, expertise, nor overheads either.    Plus you should add in a mark up to make some profit on the deal...
Ha Ha.  So the differences between UK English and USA English strikes again!!   Seriously in UK you knock up cement as well as knocking up cakes!  (We do have the other version to which you refer too - but it is not so common!)    I was watching re runs of a USA series recently and it did strike me how different our slang language is, and some things that were used on the programme, which we use really lightly, were deemed as massively offensive in USA, actually the use of...
My favourite was - 'Can you just knock me up a cake'.    Or 'my sister wants a cake, but she is a bit short of cash - so are you still making cakes?'   One thing is for sure - I DO NOT knock up cakes, neither do I make them for cash strapped people.   If they want one cheap they need to go to Costco or supermarket and fight with all the e numbers it contains.   If they want they can make it themselves, that would be classed as a knocked up cake I guess.   If they want one...
Thank you for making me laugh today.   I love the thought of cutting a square out of a round cake - and that it why it costs more.  Brilliant.  I had never thought that squares were more complicated, but I guess with fondant icing trying to get rid of the excess as you fold the edges down is slightly more time consuming perhaps.  The main thing is to know that it takes more ingredients for a square cake than a round.  My recipe book for wedding cakes shows that a square...