Posts by SandyES00

A client just sent me a picture of something they are interested in.  It's a cake from a place called Lady Wrights Delights.  I am just starting out and have a pricing matrix to cover my costs for buttercream and fondant cakes and basic gum paste work, but there are a lot of things I haven't actually done before, so i don't actually know how long it will take me to do them.  Also, because I haven't done them before, it might take me longer and feel like passing on that...
I know that an Agbay is basically the gold standard for cake leveling and that the Wilton ones are kind of the bottom tier, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Fat Daddio leveler.  Although the Agbay would be great, it just doesn't fit into my budget right now and the Fat Daddio could.  Any experiences with it would be greatly appreciated.
It depends a lot on what your area will support.  I charge $2.50 per serving for buttercream cakes, so I charge each cupcake like a serving.  Extra decorations of course add extra money.  I'm not sure how detailed the monkey cupcakes are, so not sure, but you can do it one of two ways.  You can charge extra certain amount per cupcake or just add on a charge to the total.  I'd say estimate how long it will take you to do the extra decorations and give yourself an hourly...
I was using the cake serving chart from Wilton.  I used the Party size for every order, wedding or not.  It would only be 163 or something by the party standard, but 208 by the wedding one.  I told her that she could cut it by the wedding standard and have enough, but I totally didn't think about the number of flowers poking into the cake ruining it.  Would she need a whole other tier then?   Thank you so much for all of the insight regarding the flowers.  I have...
carmijok:  No buzz kill.  Totally legitimate comment, and I have thought of this myself.  I have gotten a lot better at fondanting, etc., so I feel that I would be able to do it.  However, I just found out, she is getting married end of Feb in 2014, not 2013.  A little far ahead for a cake order right? 
K8memphis:  We are literally just doing the cake and cascade. No plateau or tablescape, etc.  She said, she will do that.     As jason_kraft mentioned, I'm hesitant to let someone else do the arranging for me with the real flowers, so I would want to do it myself and therefore should charge for the time, although not sure how long it would take.  I guess I would have to do it at the venue, the day of, so they are fresh,etc.   Jason_kraft:  You made this cake?...
Oh and one more thing, does this look like each tier has two or three layers?
How many flowers would you say are on there?  75?
Thank you for the feedback.  Yeah, I thought they looked real too, but then she said she wanted them to be midnight blue instead of the purple.  I don't know a ton about flowers, so not even sure that's an option with real flowers.
I got the attached picture from a bride asking for a quote for a end of Feb. wedding.  She is expecting 200 people.  I charge starting at $2.50 per serving for buttercream and $3.50 per serving for fondant.  I just have no idea where to start pricing out this flower cascade.  Also, this would definitely need extra structural support and more extensive set up, which I feel also warrants a charge, just not sure yet.  Any ideas?  How much would others charge?  I'm in the DC...