Posts by SandyES00

So I got stiffed by a client for the first time.  I got an e-mail through my website a couple weeks ago requesting a baby shower cake.  After several exchanges of ideas with the client, I sent her a contract and requested payment.  By that point, it was only a little more than a week before the event, so I said that I would need full payment.  She still had not contacted me or paid me by the Monday of the week of the event, so I contacted her again.  I finally heard from...
I live in the DC metro area and have that that cake would serve 60.  Average around here is about $4.50 per serving starting for fondant cakes.  I don't charge that much because I'm newer, but I would charge around $270-$300 for everything, no including delivery.
I live in the DC metro area.  I have that a half sheet serves 60.  In my area, fondant cakes are usually $4.50 per serving starting, although I don't charge that much since I'm newer.  I'd charge somewhere between $270 and $300 including the fondant perfume bottles, cardboard top, etc.
I am making a cake for this weekend of four stacked books, and I had a couple questions.  I know some people wrap the fondant around the entire piece of cake to create a back cover and some people simply add pieces around the bottom edge, do people have a preference.  Also, the person will be eating some cake on one day (two books), and the rest another.  I usually stack my cakes with buttercream between for security, but that leads to part of the fondant coming off too...
hmmm, not sure why I can see it and it's not showing up for you.  Let me try again.  
I had a bride request a quote for the cake below.  I have a $3.50 base price per serving for fondant cake and know what I charge for most other things, but have never done something like this before, so was wondering people's thoughts on pricing.   It is supposed to feed 150 people.  I know a lot depends on costs, etc., which I have figured out, just curious about what others would charge because I don't know how much work this will be really.  Also, the wedding is an...
I am doing my first tasting in a couple weeks and was trying to figure out the logistics of it all.  I am allowing the bride to choose three flavors of cake and frosting.  She will be bringing her mother.  How big should the samples of the cake be?  I want it to be enough so that they each can taste each cake with each frosting.  I was thinking of doing 4" single layers or a quarter of a 6" round.  Is that too much, too little?  If I did cupcakes, how many would you give?
What is going to be the size of the cake?  Are you doing the baby bottom out of cake, RKT or just fondant?
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Get this, I quoted her around 500, but told her that it would still depend on the exact details she wanted, etc.  She was astounded at the price because apparently, she didn't know that all that stuff in the picture was made out of sugar, fondant, etc.  She thought it was all real.  She said she would just buy the stuff to put around it and just needed the cake, but that she didn't want any fondant and the cake probably wouldn't be eaten...
I would say that it depends on what you want to do.  If she absolutely insists on being able to keep the stand, and you don't mind buying one, I would charge the full cost of the stand plus the time it takes you to purchase it, etc.  If you let her use one, then you can charge an rental fee that includes cost of delivery and pick up of the stand.