Posts by Amberwaves

Or perhaps a new forum should be created for hobbyists only? That way there will be no pricing or legal questions whatsover, correct?
I for one don't understand how someone that hasn't gone to the expense and work of getting their "business" legal can come on here and snivel about people attacking them for pointing out the legal route to selling cakes.ALL DAY this coming Saturday I am required to sit in a Food Managers class that cost me $180.00. The book for the class was an additional $60.00. At the end I have to take a test and if I pass I get a certificate allowing me to keep selling cakes. That is...
Phone conversation today...Me: Hello, such and such cake storeBride's friend: Hi, my friend is getting married in May and I was calling to see if you make wedding cakes?Me: Yes I do. What is your friend's wedding date?Bride's friend: May 17thMe: Oh boy, let me check my calendar, that's awful close.Bride's friend: No, it's like 3 weeks away!Me: I can call you back shortly once I have checked my calendarBride's friend: No, why don't I call and tell her you do make wedding...
I did not follow the wedding or anything, but that cake is absolutely beautiful! Elegant, exquisite and just perfect for royalty without all the gaudy that you see so much of with celebrities nowadays. How amazing she didn't feel like she had to have every bell, whistle and rhinestone hanging on it! Even the bouquet she carried was so much smaller than I see most brides carry at everyday weddings.I LOVE how Kate is understated and traditional--what a breath of fresh air.
Is that purchased along with Americolor, etc?And do you make it a liquid before adding to buttercream, cookie glaze, etc?Does it color chocolate without seizing?
How do you address this when people want you to match intense and or dark colors? Yesterday I had a customer mention it when ordering cupcakes from me. Apparently she was at a recent baby shower and loved the cupcakes I had made but didn't like the chemical taste (her words) in the buttercream. They were bright purple and teal to match the invitations and I used Americolor gel.I ended up suggesting that we go with pastels so I could use very little coloring, but what do...
Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't contact the client at the time because when I got there they told me she knew she had messed up and already told them I would be bringing the cake that day. I wish she had thought to call me too and just arrange to bring it the next day.It was really disappointing not to have her see her cake and then to worry that it wasn't going to taste as good sitting in the cooler overnight.Sometimes I think I get waaay too attached to these...
The mistake was the customer's--she had me deliver Saturday and the party was Sunday. It was a tiered cake with flowers between the tiers and I delivered it assembled because my husband drove and I didn't want to be putting it together at the restaurant.I didn't want to face driving it back home and then turning around driving it back again the next day, so an employee (my customer's family owns the restaurant I delivered to) found a place in the cooler where they keep...
I rarely allow pickups, but when I do they have a very specific time slot. Before or after that time slot I am not available. You may have a couple of unhappy people until the lesson is learned, but they will manage their time better if they understand that the cake they ordered and paid for will not be available for their party. Of course, this means you have to get deposits and payment up front, which is something I think all cakers should do anyway!