Posts by KateCoughlin

So true!  I reduced the oil in the recipe to 1/2 cup for a future test cake and it turned out delicious.  Moist but not oily!  And with the better structure I was able to de-pan them with ease.
Hi All,   I made the Cooks Country red velvet cake recipe this weekend (two layer nine inch cake).  As planned, I started out with 2 tablespoons water and 1/2 teaspoon of Americolor's red gel paste.  It looked okay to me but I added a tiny bit more to be safe - I'd say 3/4 teaspoon in all.  I had already watched the CC video making this cake so I knew how dark the batter should appear - almost raspberry like.  Well, mine turned out a few shades lighters.  It still baked...
I love Americolor's Super Red gel paste.  And I was wondering the same thing for an upcoming red velvet birthday cake.  I haven't made it in a while but when I did I used Cook's Country recipe.  They have you blend 1oz of traditional red food dye with the cocoa powder to form a paste.  I'd rather use my Americolor gel so I will try Valkstar's suggestion starting with the water and adding the gel paste.  I'm thinking one teaspoon of gel will be plenty but I will start with...
  Thanks for tip of using a box lid - it never occurred to me and I have tons laying around.
"A layer cake is a cake consisting of multiple stacked sheets of cake, held together by frosting or another type of filling, such as jam or other preserves"   The cake you show pictured consists of 3 to 4 layers from what I can tell.  You will need to bake 3 to 4 separate pans of cake to build just one cake.  With at least three layers to each cake and four finished cakes that means baking 12 separate pans of cake must be baked.     Here is a quick diagram that might...
Hi,   According to my calculation your pan is slightly larger than an 8-inch round pan.  You would need to bake quite a few of those cakes to feed 60 - at least four of them (three layers each).  Maybe consider a sheet pan instead since it feeds larger crowds.  Having to frost and decorate a bunch of smaller cakes separately is more time consuming than doing just one large cake.   Ganache is great underneath fondant - some prefer it over frosting because it smooths...
 Thank you!  That means a lot coming from you.  It was a delicious cake and enjoyed by all.
Definitely sounds more doable since it will only be layers of cheesecake and a fake dummy on top.  Good luck!!
What kind of cake?  If its very tender (i.e. white vanilla cake) and prone to crumbling it will be trickier.  I say before trying to carve the numbers you glue this crack back together.  I'm assuming you already removed the cake from the pan.  Lay down a large sheet of plastic wrap down on a cookie sheet first and gently place the cracked cake on top.  Use a cake flipper or several large spatulas if you have them.  Go ahead and pipe whatever frosting you'll be using inside...