Posts by jennifercullen

I wrote this on someonesthread yesterday too I think, my first attempt at icing a cake went horribly because i refridgerated it and it all kind of melted in front of me. But since then I have heard loads of people talking about chilling their cakes so i decided to experiment with my own so I made a small cake only about the size of 2 cupcakes, i buttercreamed it and then put my mmf on it and put it in the fridge covered in cling film, i left it over night and in the...
When I made my first cake I used ready made fondant, don't know the brand but it was a UK one, anyway I had no idea about this don't put it in the fridge rule so I did and the cake literally melted in front of me so I had to scrape it all off, that put me off putting another cake in as I didn't want to risk it, but last night I decided as the weather is getting warmer to test it out I used my own mmf and quickly put it on a small cake and it was fine. I don't know if the...
When I made my first cake I used ready made fondant, don't know the brand but it was a UK one, anyway I had no idea about this don't put it in the fridge rule so I did and the cake literally melted in front of me so I had to scrape it all off, that put me off putting another cake in as I didn't want to risk it, but last night I decided as the weather is getting warmer to test it out I used my own mmf and quickly put it on a small cake and it was fine. I don't know if the...
I think people expect things to get cheaper the more people you are catering for (if you know what I mean!) and its definitely true that people see cake as 'just cake'. I'm pretty new to cake decorating and have been making cakes for friends and family, my friend asked me to do two cakes for separate occasions and I worked out the cost at about £30, which is just for a guitar cake in my pictures and a small ish baby shower cake for about 20-30 people..nothing fancy at all!...
...should I use something else? I want to make a harry potter owl wizard cake, something like this- http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1907258 I want to make it relatively small and am wondering what I should make the owl out of? if I use RKT, how early can I make it? or would I be better using fondant/gumpaste?
I think I've finally got it lol. I found a shop in my town today that sells all this stuff, I didnt think there was one. But yes, Gum Paste=Flower Paste, Fondant=Sugarpaste. Although I think they are mostly the manufacturers terms as most people in the UK still seem to call them fondant and gumpaste. I've found recipes for gum paste, and bought a pack of flesh coloured mexican modelling paste this morning to make a baby from a mould I have.Also yes, I regalice is fondant,...
Thanks for your reply I think I might find recipes for all, the stuff I have worked with store bought is regal ice, not sure if it is gum paste or fondant but it can be rolled quite thin. I might try to make up some of my own batches of all the different icings and see which I prefer!
I'm new to cake making, and have only made two in the past year, not for any event or anything, just for my mum and my son so I can teach myself how to do it! I have a few questions about the different kinds of cake coverings/decorating materials.Both times I made cakes, I bought 'regal ice' red fondant, as from what I read I wouldnt be able to colour white fondant as well as buying it. I made some of my own marshmallow fondant for the second cake, which felt a lot better...