Posts by me_me1

DanaNZ - I love your mermaid cake, such a cute idea!   Gumpaste does go hard a lot quicker than fondant, but if you keep the gumpaste well wrapped in the heavy duty plastic it comes in and sealed in an air tight container it will be fine.   :)
Maybe up your ratio of cream to chocolate so it's a bit more spreadable once it's at room temp.     If my ganache is a bit too thick to spread I usually fill the sink with hot water and rest the bowl in there for a little while, stirring at the same time.  Makes it a bit easier to judge when it's had enough heat.   I generally use a 2:1 ratio for milk choc ganache, nice and spreadable but firms up nicely in the fridge.   
I recently delivered a wedding cake in 44 C Aussie heat and the air con in the car just wasn't up to that heat. The bottom tier didn't end up surviving the half hour trip.  I had some great tips from K8Memphis after the event to prevent the disaster happening again -  http://cakecentral.com/t/767100/my-first-cake-disaster#post_7475970   If you're using ganache, up the ratio of chocolate to cream to help it stay firmer.  I'd also suggest refrigerating before travelling...
I've been asked for this sort of thing quite often. I usually just do a little 5" and 7" two tier cake for requests like this.
This isn't really a gripe, more just a cute question I was asked by a groom about his upcoming wedding cake.  He wondered if the cake were to have tiers with alternating flavours (chocolate, vanilla, chocolate, vanilla) if it would just look weird.  Bless his little cottons...   Reassured him that with the same colour fondant covering the whole cake he could have whatever flavours he wanted in there - so cute!   :)
I had some feedback from the groom's sister, who ordered the cake. She loved it, the bride & groom loved it and everyone said how delicious and beautiful it was. How lucky to get such a lovely, understanding bunch of people!!
Thanks for the kind words everyone!   K8memphis - excellent idea, I will be doing just that next cake delivery in a couple of weeks!!
Thanks Enga. Sorry you've had a similar experience! I am rejigging my ganache ratios for the next summer wedding cake coming up in a couple of weeks to try and avoid anything like this happening again.
Really hot Aussie summer day (44 degrees C, think that's around 110 F) and the car A/C just wasn't up to the job. Thankfully was able to salvage the top three tiers and just keep the bottom smooshed tier in the kitchen as a cutting cake but I was soooooo upset yesterday when delivering it. I'm not showing anyone other than fellow CCers the smooshed tier!! At least I know what I need to do differently in these extreme weather conditions for future!!
Thanks jellybeanking!   Godot, sure thing - it's my first display so anything to make the next one better is a good thing!!