Posts by me_me1

Hi there,   I can tell you how I go about it if you like...  not sure that it will be the same as what everyone else does, but seems to be working for me!   I'm in Aus so the generally nice weather means I can have people seated out on my verandah which overlooks a park and a river.  Having a lovely environment for them to have the tasting seems to be a big plus - I know I would like it. I've got a little corner decked out with pretty purple curtains screening one side...
Thanks very much Eachna!   It's a peony on top   :)
I use Sweetapolita's SMBC recipe always and it spreads and pipes like a dream.  Before I got my stand mixer I was using hand-held ones but still got a great result - just meant I had to stand there getting a sore arm!   :)
Not sure I can bring myself to do so!!  It really does look like one of those awful grocery store cakes you see on Cake Wrecks....  
Woops....  I made my RI too stiff and my piping, which was meant to look like a lovely graceful swirl more closely resembles little rude dudes.   Pick-up of the cake was supposed to be at 10am so was panicking slightly and wanting to fix things but didn't think I had enough time.  40 minutes later and they still haven't arrived to pick up their cake so I'm now leaning more towards 'stuff them and their spermy cake!'   I think I need some more sleep.....
I have a recipe that did this and it took me ages to figure out what I was doing wrong.  Turns out I was beating it for too long once the flour had been added to the creamed butter/sugar/egg mix.  Now I know that with this particular recipe I mix until just combined (even though the recipe says differently!) and it turns out perfectly each time now.   Hope that helps!   Cheers, J   :)
Hi Charlooola,   Cream cheese frosting under fondant can cause a few issues as the fondant can start to dissolve when it comes into contact with the cream cheese.  I'd suggest using the cream cheese frosting as a filling and then use SMBC or some other frosting to cover the cake where it's going to come directly into contact with the frosting.   I've flavoured SMBC with LorAnn's cheesecake flavouring before and had really nice comments about the flavor combination of...
DanaNZ - I love your mermaid cake, such a cute idea!   Gumpaste does go hard a lot quicker than fondant, but if you keep the gumpaste well wrapped in the heavy duty plastic it comes in and sealed in an air tight container it will be fine.   :)
Maybe up your ratio of cream to chocolate so it's a bit more spreadable once it's at room temp.     If my ganache is a bit too thick to spread I usually fill the sink with hot water and rest the bowl in there for a little while, stirring at the same time.  Makes it a bit easier to judge when it's had enough heat.   I generally use a 2:1 ratio for milk choc ganache, nice and spreadable but firms up nicely in the fridge.   
I recently delivered a wedding cake in 44 C Aussie heat and the air con in the car just wasn't up to that heat. The bottom tier didn't end up surviving the half hour trip.  I had some great tips from K8Memphis after the event to prevent the disaster happening again -  http://cakecentral.com/t/767100/my-first-cake-disaster#post_7475970   If you're using ganache, up the ratio of chocolate to cream to help it stay firmer.  I'd also suggest refrigerating before travelling...