Posts by Norasmom

Magic Line makes the best pans, in my opinion! Ateco makes the best cutters and pastry bags.
I bet your cakes are super delicious!     Stop the dieting unless you have a serious medical issue.  Eat the carbs, enjoy your life.  We deny ourselves good food in the US and constantly think about weight.   This is a terrible obsession, particularly given since as a nation we are getting bigger.  If you don't deny yourself you will not continually make yourself feel guilty and your self-esteem will go up.  High self-esteem will make you feel confident and then you...
That's adorable! I would say $2.75 per cupcake, total. I charge by the cupcake as opposed to the extra stuff.   It's best to buy box in bulk and bling at dollar store, but I see where you could not find them when you needed them most!
I bet something is off with the new baking soda and powder you bought.  Sometimes even if it's fresh on the label it might not agree with your oven.  Maybe try a different brand or change the ratio.
Hire someone to do your dishes and cleaning and the basic front desk stuff.   I think that is great, don't be afraid, just let yourself be confident!  Experience will be your teacher.  You are young and have lots of time to correct mistakes you may make along the way.  Having your parents for support will also make all the difference in the world.   If you are a talented decorator, have already been successful with a customer base and are passionate, you have the 3 most...
Okay…here's the deal.     Navy blue icing/fondant will turn people's poop green.  Not to be disgusting but that's the only way to put it.   If your customer wants her party attendees to freak out when they are pooping green, awesome.  If not, I suggest a better color, perhaps with touches of navy blue.  Because according to Dr.Oz, poop is supposed to be brown.   I know this because I made my husband a navy blue Ole MIss football helmet cake.  It was delicious but….
Perhaps I am getting old and the new generation will no longer consider grammar necessary.  Except the C-level hiring managers are my age right now, so maybe it matters a little.   I tested out of English in college as well, thank God, because I can't write essays about books to save my life!  I can write angry letters and sales proposals, but an analysis of Shakespeare on my part would have been awful.   At some point I am going to volunteer to teach ESL.  I want the...
I don't think she is reading anymore, but copycats are super annoying.  Cake designs are not proprietary but pictures of cakes certainly should be!     Everyone reading please take this with a grain of salt, or sugar, or flour, or whatever…or disregard if it upsets you.     I do not wish to judge, and I am sensitive to those arriving in the US needing to learn English and struggle with our language.  However, surviving in a business where you will be dealing with...
It's a cute cake.  I agree the buttercream could be made smoother, but that will come with time.  if you want to try baking for people, you can keep it simple by practicing on friends, family and friends of friends and family.  Easy enough to legalize your kitchen if allowed in your county.  You will know if the business is for your or not if you start small.  I did it this way and I am so glad I stayed small…my day job is far more fun!