Posts by Norasmom

I love that cake, you did a great job!   Undercharging is what brings a business down.  If you truly want to be a legitimate business that profits, it will be impossible to hold down all of the jobs you have because you will be baking and learning about the business of baking.   When you spend enough time making cakes you will know exactly what your time, ingredients and overhead are worth, without even asking.  I am out of breath just thinking about you having 2 jobs...
wow!  that's talent!
I say QUIT.  Shut your cake closet and go bake once in a awhile for fun.  If it isn't fun anymore it is not worth doing.  I know that starting a business and building it up is not fun at all, so I am not saying everything is always fun, but in general, life is meant to be enjoyed.  If you really need extra income, there are plenty of other part-time jobs out there that require less stress.   I went back to corporate and I am happy.  I make cakes for friends and family...
Welcome,  and yes, definitely do a business plan. How much does everything cost and how much do you wish to make in profit?  Make sure everything you do is legal if you are here in the US.  (May take some time to get cash to pay for all.)   You do not need a formal education to start a business, you just need experience, practice,  patience and emotional strength.  Experience is how businesses grow and patience will get you through when you are learning and practicing....
Cat, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Losing a friend hurts, you have my condolences.     It is 2:15 am, I am just eating dinner now, some cottage cheese…   I decided to only do cakes for friends, family and charity and go corporate again.  I now realize it was the right choice, I still love to bake  I am not young enough to stay up this late finishing a cake!   And my kitchen looks like a FEMA case…   I just finished a cake for a friend and it took awhile....
I think my main issue was the reduction in the weight of the bag yet the increase in price…I was making candy clay and 2 oz makes a big difference in the in the consistency of that stuff.  I say increase the price but keep the size the same, otherwise, it's a bit sneaky.   As for prices, yes, they are going up, but the economy is on the mend.  Jobs are on the increase, here in Boston tech companies are begging for qualified employees, in all areas, from reception to...
Leah, I agree about it being okay for mothers and hobbyists    However, it is not okay, in any market, entry level or not, to shave off a few ounces, raise your prices and then think no one noticed or would care.    They get an F for doing that. Wilton did not have a profitable 2014 so they are cutting corners.    I think they over-did their product line….way too many  plastic gadgets to make people think they can make a "professional-looking" cake, when in reality, the...
it is my understanding that Wilton products are horrendous.   They seem to have really lived up to their Cake Central reputation with me this evening…   Their 12 oz candy melts are now 10 oz packages AND the price has gone up.  I did not notice this in the store, I noticed when I came home and needed the 12 oz package.    That kind of cutting corners is not how one keeps existing customers.  I am done with Wilton forever.  Ateco and Merkins, here I come!   I have...
How about Sweet Melody Cakes? Even if it is already in use, you can alway add the name of your town to change it…My last name is Smith…there are a lot of Cakesmith's out there….so I added of _____(my town)   So you could be Sweet Melody Cakes of Whatevertownyoulivein.
Seems like it might be cost-prohibitive unless you are a big-box distributor.  I was thinking dry ice maybe?