Posts by sixbittersweets

Sounds like your first try turned out way better than mine lol.  I've finally gotten the procedure down to make them consistently smooth and cute.  It sounds like you do need more shortening (I used between 1 and 2 tablespoons shortening per pound of candy melts/candy bark).  It really does depend on the weather and brand of candy melts/bark as well though.  If your candy melts are clumping up, it may also be that you're overheating them.  So be sure to heat them only 30...
This can be affected by a number of factors, over OR under-baking, not filling the cups high enough, a problematic brand of baking cups, and letting the cupcakes cool in the pan too long and thus letting the steam produced loosen the wrapper from the cupcakes.  The last 2 in that list turned out to be causing the problem for me.  I get baking cups in bulk now from the Webstaurant Store for a really great price and they work great.  I also remove cupcakes from the pan 3-5...
Agree with others that it really depends on your recipe and oven.  I bake at just under 350 degrees F for 10-13 minutes.  I always check 10 minutes in just in case.  Because they're so small, it's really easy to overbake mini cupcakes and have them dry out...
It took me 7 or so consecutive tries to find my personal ideal red velvet recipe and I shared it here: http://www.6bittersweets.com/2011/10/devilishly-delicious-best-red-velvet.html  Obviously the red frosting and devil decorations are optional for Halloween only.  Hope you try and like it :).
I agree that it's pieced together from petals.  I feel like it might even work to use scalloped circle cutters, then cut the resulting circular gumpaste in half before ruffling it up and attaching to the cake.  Good luck!
I agree with ellavanilla.  That is definitely frosting and not fondant/gumpaste although the tutorial linked is pretty :).
Here's a tutorial except you probably only need 1 or 2 stripes in the big for the effect in the photo =).  http://ginadewitt.blogspot.com/2012/12/striped-icing-technique.html
Thanks to both of you!  I ended up trying the wraparound and gather at top technique but I ended up barely being up to hold up the huge piece of fondant and would've had to start over rolling it out if my boyfriend didn't come to the rescue.  Still had positioning and tearing issues and the was SO much extra at the top.  I think I'll try either the panel wraparound and top or normal from top down method next time...
Thanks for responding!  It's going to hopefully be an 8 x 8" in terms of diameter and height.  Do you think I should do that normally?  I'm still pretty new at working with fondant and am worried it'll dry up and/or wrinkle up toward the bottom.  I love your work and am honored to get your input!   -XL
Hi there!   I'm making my first double-barrel fondant cake this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows of a video demonstrating the method of covering double barrel cakes that involves wrapping the fondant around the sides, then gathering it up at the top (see photo below for visual representation)?  I know there are videos for the other techniques, but I'm especially interested in that one.         Even if there isn't a video, I'd love to get any tips...