Posts by pastrymaniac

I understand what you mean MKC but I would like to try and deliver finished stacked cakes whenever possible because in some venues here (where is very hot and by the beach) there is no air con but open marquees facing the beach instead so in those cases I have to face condensation issues when the cakes come out of my air conditioned van and I stack them. Plus I find that stacking the cakes when they come out of the fridge is much easier to avoid dents when I want to have a...
MKC so if you used a flange you screwed the dowel to the cake drum right and it still didn´t go well? How is that even possible?? I have been triple checking the measurements before drilling the holes in the center of my cake boards.   I was told that top decorators like Ron Ben Israel use this method for their high tiered cakes and I have seen decorators stacking cakes with this method on the TV show Amazing Wedding Cakes so what are they doing that we aren´t? 
I know cupadeecakes that´s what I have been doing so far like I wrote in the beginning of the thread.   I drill a hole in the center of each board and then stack the tiers through the center dowel but often I end up with uncentered tiers (for instance with the one above about 1 inch more to the left or right than it should be regarding the tier below or some centered and some uncentered on the same tiered cake) and I just can´t figure out why that is happening since I...
MKC thank you so much for your reply I was starting to think I was the only weirdo in the world experiencing this, you made my day!!  Anyway I will still try again a few more times starting with the central dowel glued in the drilled big cake drum that goes under the whole cake like shown in the link provided by petitecat.  Did you also try it this way? Did the cakes still not line...
Thanks so much petitecat that is a great tip, to be honest it had already ocurred to me but I was too lazy to try it  so I kept trying to tell myself it wouldn´t make much of a difference ;), I will sure give it a go very soon.   Leah is there a limit for height of cakes you can do using SPS. for instance can you do a 7 inch high cake or higher? Do you ice the cake on top of the SPS board/plate provided or do you use a regular board that you glue to the SPS plate? Do...
K8memphis I said that just to have even thickness all across the ribbon  if I was making it from scratch at the venue, and my pasta machine is a small portable one :), and just because it is much faster to roll it like that.   In some venues I almost have to beg to have a small table to finish the assembly of the cake or sometimes they keep asking me if I will still be too long...that´s why I like to take as much work done as possible for some places. For instance I have...
Thanks shanter, are they flimsy like the ones we use to drink coke or a bit more rigid and sturdy? Do they hold ganached tiers 5 and 6 inches high ok?
Hi cupadeecakes, thanks very muchfor your feedback and reply. Would you please mind checking this other thread I started regarding some issues I´ve been having with the central dowel method? Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.   Cheers.   http://www.cakecentral.com/t/779641/help-uneven-centering-of-cake-tiers-due-to-misplaced-central-dowel#post_7552461
Thanks cakewitch, you mean using a middle support board that is always less wide than the actual cake tier right?  
Yes cakewitch I mean double barrel, do I use another SPS plate in the middle of the double barrel tier like I would with a regular cake board and dowels? Thanks.