Posts by ThreeLittleBlackbirds

Different levels of competition are difficult to categorize in real life, let alone online. I can see that getting very ugly and I'll tell you why.Last February, I entered my very first cake competition. Having been decorating cakes less than 6 months at the time without ever taking a class, I entered into the "beginner" category because thats exactly what I was. I was a newbie in every sense of the word. I received an email back a couple days later stating that they had...
Applesauce in place of eggs wont work, as you found out the hard way. Applesauce can be used to replace the oil in a recipe in order to reduce fat and increase moisture, but that's about it You can use an egg replacer, or what I do is use apple cider vinegar. You don't taste it, but scientifically, the vinegar does what eggs do in the recipe.Typically, vanilla cakes are made with butter not oil, so it can be tough to replicate a fluffy butter cake with a vegan one. I use...
I fill my cakes with Swiss Meringue Buttercream and ganache the outsides of them before the fondant is applied. Never had a problem with it. I have filled my cakes with ganache too, but I think the combination of the silky creamy SMBC and the rich ganache on the outside makes for a super delicious bite of cake!!I also make my ganache on the same day I will be using it by letting it cool to room temp and then popping it into the fridge (uncovered) for about 15 minutes. ...
yes to both. heat it up until simmering and use the same ratio as cream, so for dark or semi-sweet choc use 2:1.you must use real coconut milk, not coconut cream or cream of coconut (which has dairy in it)
Use high quality semi-sweet or dark chocolate and coconut milk. It's delicious!!
I have to disagree that cake flour makes a "better" cake. I absolutely hate the artificial chemical taste that cake flour imparts into a beautiful scratch cake and you might as well just open up a box mix. This is just my opinion of course, so don't blow a gasket on me now I have found that a combination of unbleached a/p flour and pre-sifted self-rising flour make the best cakes for me. I sift and resift them together and be extra careful not to overmix or overbake. I...
I use a very high quality cocoa from Penzyes spices. The taste is exactly like Valhrona but much cheaper. I pay about $7.95 per 1 lb.www.penzeys.com
I agree, that lawnmower cake is beyond cute, I never would have thought of that! well done!
awww thanks Mena 2002!
What a fun thread! Such amazing cakes out there!This is my most saved at 386:http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1941886But, this one is my favorite because the princess actually spinned and looked just like my daughter, I was really proud of this one http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2015364