Posts by diamonds-and-rust

Nothing to add regarding the bottles, but just wanted to say what a lovely and thoughtful gift that is.....who wouldn't LOVE a bottle of fine, real vanilla in a lovely glass bottle. Great idea!Cathy
Brilliant!
You can partially freeze it too.
I'm so sorry this happened to you You would think that at this time of year we wouldn't have to worry about this kind of thing. Your cake was absolutely perfect, I've never seen such perfect basketweave and what kind of border was that you made and what tip did you use? I LOVE it. And your kitties were adorable, at least they were salvagable. Glad your friend understood, it is a long haul from Indy to Chi town.
I'm so sorry this happened to you You would think that at this time of year we wouldn't have to worry about this kind of thing. Your cake was absolutely perfect, I've never seen such perfect basketweave and what kind of border was that you made and what tip did you use? I LOVE it. And your kitties were adorable, at least they were salvagable. Glad your friend understood, it is a long haul from Indy to Chi town.
Thank you ladies, I so appreciate your advice
So you actually have 2 mats then? That might make it easier. And yes, I use homemade mmf.....I am just a hobby baker and never charge anyone for the cakes I make, so I cut my costs by making the fondant myself. I didn't know that the mat is not so great for mmf....wish I would have known that before I purchased it. At least it is very inexpensive. I might just go ahead and order another one and try your method. I really really want to get this to work because it is...
I love Bettercreme but would NOT trust it under fondant. Why dont you make a filling with it instead? I just made a fantastic mousse out of 2C bettercreme, half a sleve of raspberry (Dawn, I think?) filling, and a pint of fresh raspberries. Rave reviews (cake was WASC choc)
I have "The Mat" and haven't had much luck with it unfortunately. I wind up having to use shortening and ps with it and I thought the point of using the mat was not having to do this.....I really want to love this product but I'm ready to toss it Do you have any tips to make it more user-friendly?Thank you!
Bright and bountiful cake blessings to you