Posts by FromScratchSF

Hahaha this is why my sister does all my books!  OK, please keep me away from the calculators, just use this...   http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/business/gross-ratio.aspx   Plug in some numbers to give you an idea what you need to be doing in order to survive doing this.
25% of 170,000 is $42,500, which would represent expenses, so gross sales would be $212,500, less expenses of $42,500 = $170,000.  Right?   That's 25% profit margin.  You make 25% more in profit then your break even point.
Did i mess up my math?  I was in a hurry to try and get my point across.
 OK so lets fix that and talk about something that we never talk about.  Profit margin.  Average profit margin on a successful food sales business is 20-30%.  This is a VERY general number based on many, MANY factors, but for the sake of Fischer Pricing this for the average Jane that wants to start selling cake from home and thinking it will pay retirement or make a living off it, lets just use the very general industry average and split the difference - 25%. Sales -...
 If you liked that one, you'll LOVE this... http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/understanding-cooks-best-kitchen-advice?ref=facebook-868 This one actually had me laughing out loud because all those photos could have been taken at my commercial kitchen, especially the photo of the jacked up broom that's melted from the heat and the dude eating a tiny portion of something over the trash can.  I never realized that yeah, most of the people cooking your food are, well,...
 Agreed, this article rocks and anyone that is thinking "Hey!  I'm going to watch some ____________ videos and start selling cake and make truckloads of money!" needs to read it.  There are too many new bakers racing to the bottom to try and grab that last fleeting dollar. In 3, 5, 10 years from now the industry will look nothing like it does today, yesterday or 5 years ago.
You posted in the business section so I will give my professional advice - those are not cakes that are bakery-quality level in execution.  I don't believe that your portfolio of work would get you hired as a decorator at a custom bakery.  I'm going out on a limb but if your local shops told you they were concerned about your ability to meet the physical requirements of the bakery, they were being kind and dismissing you as a candidate because they are not interested in...
Well 1st I'd say you forgot to put in your description that you are asking for critique from the Cake Club!  Also maybe edit it to also give us a bit more detail about techniques used, equipment on hand, etc.
I am so happy this thread keeps going and going!  But as a reminder...   1.  Do not post your photos HERE.  Post your photos in the photo gallery and MAKE SURE YOU PUT IN THE DESCRIPTION OF THE PHOTO THAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR CRITIQUE.  If you can even hyperlink back to this thread, the better.   2. Once uploaded, post a link to your photo here in this thread.  Those participating will pop over to your photo in the gallery and post your critique IN THE COMMENTS.  Please...
 Yeah I keep it very lo-fi and want to do it as fast as possible at the table.  I also HATE when people are just staring at me. Fast and simple.  I don't care if it isn't perfectly lassoed out, and neither do they.  In the moment, I am just looking for very quick elements that I can throw on a mock cake so the client can get an idea of the type and style of my work.  It shouldn't take more then 2 minutes.  (SOAPBOX) But I also do not price at the table and don't formally...