Posts by jason_kraft

Check out the pricing formula link in my signature below...add up the cost of ingredients, the cost of your time, and allocated overhead (insurance, license fees, table rental fees, etc. on a per-order basis) for each item or set of items, then do some market research to determine market value. You may need to adjust market value downward depending on the expected audience and budgets for candy at the fair.
Agreed, your method works very well for entrepreneurs who want to keep things small. If and when they reach a point where they need to hire employees they can use the more detailed process at that point.You would think so, but we've both been around here long enough to see plenty of examples to the contrary.
They now have a web-based cloud version (in fact it is the only version now available) so it will run an iPad. Cost is $149 + $20 year after the first year.http://www.cakeboss.com/
Knowing your cost is integral to costumeczar's method. In her case costs (excluding labor) are 40% of the target price based on market value, without having this information it's impossible to determine how much you will actually bring in after expenses.Her method is slightly simpler since it combines wage and profit margin, but there are some cases where it is important to work out these numbers separately (for example, if you will be bringing in another decorator you...
No idea, I would recommend talking to a material science expert. You'd probably have to get something custom made, and given the requirements for keeping the snow from melting and providing enough clarity to actually see the snow cake it would probably cost at least $1000.Or you could use fake snow:http://www.amazon.com/JRM-SnowReal-Artificial-Fake-Snow/dp/B00122BMB6
I wouldn't say costs were emphasized, to me it's more of a 50/50 split between factoring in cost and value to set prices (e.g. targeting cost + markup as a price and using value as a check) and determining whether it's worth it to sell a specific product to a specific market. Everyone needs to know their costs anyway for tax purposes.
If you are serious about this I would get started with a flurry of advertising, otherwise you might be iced out of the market.
It could still be marketed as all-natural. And organic.
As smckinney07 mentioned, supply would be a concern unless you had a large amount of freezer space to store the snow. Demand for such an item would also be pretty low, considering you would not be able to display it inside and the skills to create a similar product can be easily duplicated with no training. Now if you could encase the snow cake in a clear box that kept the temperature below freezing that might be an interesting product, but the costs would likely be...
Your profit margin is determined by market value both on the demand side (what the customer is willing to pay for your product) and the supply side (what competitors are charging). To figure out your hourly wage, you can look at cost of living and salary surveys to see what market wages are, but the market value of your product factors in here as well, as does your efficiency.For example, let's say a cake has $50 in ingredient costs, $30 in allocated overhead, and will...