Posts by jason_kraft

I didn't see anyone "bad-mouthing" your cake, I saw some honest constructive criticism but that's about it. The reality of running a business is that pricing goes hand-in-hand with saleability, and if your products are not saleable (based on the perception of your target market) you can't realistically charge for them.
Another option is Adobe Photoshop Elements, which provides most of the entry-level functionality of the full version of Photoshop for $60. As James mentioned above, vector graphics software like Inkscape is an entirely different type of program. More info: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/findsoftware/a/twotypes.htm
Sweetex contains trans fats, Sweetex Z does not. The ingredients for Sweetex Z are palm oil, mono and diglycerides, and polysorbate 60.
There was a thread on this last month: http://cakecentral.com/t/765583/fda-ruling-could-ban-shortening-with-trans-fats-in-us Most high ratio shortening manufacturers already have a zero-trans-fat version to sell to California, NYC, and anywhere else where trans fats are already banned. Sweetex Z is one example.
That's correct. There is even a spot on the 1040 where you can report illegal income (bribes, drug dealing, etc.), the IRS gets their cut of net income regardless.I don't have experience with Cake Boss but you may want to compare the accounting side with a trial version of QuickBooks to see which one makes more sense for you (Cake Boss has a 30 day trial), and talk to your accountant about it as well. Any accountant would be able to work with a QuickBooks file, but unless...
Being able to use a commercial kitchen rent-free is a pretty sweet deal, but it doesn't reflect market conditions and you may want to price as if you were paying market rate for a kitchen rental. If your ingredients are $15 for both orders, allocated overhead (insurance, inspection fees, license fees, etc. on a per-order basis) is $20, and market rate for a kitchen rental is $15/hour, your cost for the Wiggles cupcakes would be $95 and $65 for the santa cake. At $10 an...
How long did it take you to make the Wiggles cupcakes? How long do you think it will take you to make the Santa cake? What are your ingredient costs and allocated overhead? What does market research tell you about the market value of these products in your area? Are you talking about selling these on your own or through the restaurant?Note that the Wiggles characters are copyrighted so you would need permission from the copyright owner in order to copy their likenesses.
We recorded expenses and income with QuickBooks. If you have basic accounting knowledge it's pretty easy to set up, if not you can hire someone to do the initial setup for you so all you would have to do is enter receipts for expenses, income from orders, and bank deposits. With all your info in QB it is much easier to do your taxes. The IRS's definition of business vs. hobby has nothing to do with the definition of the health dept or the city. You do not have to be...
If your target market is full of "cheap cake ladies" who produce quality products, then you absolutely do need to use this information to determine market price, which (based on your costs) will probably result in you searching for a different market.
In the pricing method I posted, you are correct that individual costs are not used to directly set specific prices, but they have the just as important task of determining whether or not it is worth setting prices at all for a certain product and target market. For example, the last paragraph of my post tells you that if market value is below $X (where X is your cost at a certain minimum wage level) then the product is not worth your time to sell, if you don't know the...