Posts by Gerle

K8, I don't make the cheesecake to sell, it's strictly home consumption and we've never had any one get sick because of the amount of time it spent in the oven.  Once it sits in the fridge over night and I remove it from it's pan, it is refrigerated all the time except when slicing it to eat.  And believe me.....that recipe doesn't last long in this house!!  I do understand what you're saying and if I was in business, I'd really take it to heart and change my method.
So true!  Especially since I kind of like the cheesecake without the topping.
Eachna, that's exactly how I bake my cheesecakes and you're right......they come out beauifully!  Never a crack and ohhhh soooo creamy!!  When I baked my first cheesecake, I didn't know about the water bath and it turned out cracked.  Then I watched Alton Brown make his sour cream cheesecake and he bakes it in a water bath.  That became my new way to bake cheesecakes and none have cracked since.  I follow all of the details you described above in your last paragraph.
Wow!  Some really knock-out cakes this week!  You guys all did beautiful work this week.  Cat, some people are just soooo rude!  I bet that lady turned around and used all your ideas to accomplish what she wanted, but felt she didn't need to pay you.  I hate when people do that!  At least you got a little something out of it!   I've got to make a cake with ruffles around it for next Friday and some cupcakes with the Chanel logo on them.  I haven't really done a cake...
What is Annie's and how do I get on her site to take advantage of the sale?  I'd like to get that cutter, too.
Costumeczar, thank you for your reply.  Very informative.  Also makes me glad I don't bake for money!  Not sure I could take all the stress.  I'm sometimes stressed enough just doing for family and friends.
I actually placed that recipe in the CC recipes.  It's called Orange Carrot Cake.  I just checked and it's still there.  Don't confuse it with another one that says "Carrot and Orange Cake".
Louanne, I love making cheese cakes and have found that the sour cream cheesecake recipe by Alton Brown is a really good recipe to follow and I've never had it fail on me yet.  Give it a try and see if you have more luck with it.  You can find the recipe on foodnetwork.com.   And as far as carrot cakes, when I worked there was a lady who brought in a carrot cake to work for a pot luck we were having.  It was the best carrot cake I had ever tasted and she gave me the...
Personally, I follow a recipe exactly the first time I try it.  If there are things I don't like about the recipe as written, I will experiment with changes after that to get it to a point that I like the entire recipe.  Have to admit, however, I've only done this with savory dishes, not cakes.  For me, it's harder to detect what needs to be changed in desserts.
Don't most fondant covered cakes have buttercream frosting under them?  So if it was hot enough outside to melt the buttercream, wouldn't that affect the fondant?  I'm not a professional and I make very few fondant cakes, but was just curious after reading these posts.  I don't know if the fondant would act as a protectant for the buttercream, or if the buttercream would still melt somewhat and eventually affect the fondant covering.  And even if you use ganache under the...