Posts by kvand

Thank you for your comments ladies! I have in the past called florists who have been short and annoyed with my calling to confirm flowers so I stopped doing it since apparently I was the only one in my area doing it. Lol. I tell all of my clients who insist on fresh flowers they should have their florist contact me to discuss the flowers for the cake. They never contact me! So far when I have arrived to find a bucket of stems I have just smiled and placed them on the...
Hi All,   My apologies if this has been discussed to death but I searched for it and couldn't find anything.   I run a legal cake business. I often have brides who what fresh flowers on their cake.  I explain to them the concerns with using fresh flowers etc and have a part of my contract that mentions it again but they are good with it. So I have said I will place prepared, prearranged flowers (like a topper or small corsage arrangement) on the cake no charge as part...
I run a legal home based cakery.  I book half hour pick up appointments and am very clear that I have another appointment after theirs and if they are late they will need to reschedule.  I generally take payment in full prior to any orders (unless I know them or am making an exception) I find people are very motivated to show up on time if they have paid for something and know I will not be available once their appointment is over.   Once in a while if someone doesn't show...
  Is any one else having trouble accessing the cakeboss cloud?  I am getting a stupid error message. any ideas welcome!
I am in Kelowna, BC. I have put a health inspected kitchen in my home. It was surprisingly easy to do once I got in contact with the right people. They were very helpful and willing to answer questions. I have a regular home stove. could have had a standard home fridge and freezer but I opted to go bigger. I had to have a three bay sink and a few other small things. It was more challenging dealing with permit offices and building inspectors than it was dealing with...
I apologize if this has been asked before. I didn't have any luck finding what i wanted to know.... Ive always been curious about this assembling on site business. (i rarely do a cake larger than 4 tiers and so I transport fully assembled and have never had a problem) My question is... When I assemble a tiered cake I usually "massage" the fondant of the upper tier down to touch and seal on the tier below. once the fondant is set this isnt possible so could not be done...
Thank you for this! Very helpful. I've been thinking about doing the upgrade for this reason(backup) but maybe I'll wait until they figure out their quirks. You'd think they would have worked that out before releasing the update.
Hey all,   I am looking for the best place to order clear (pvc?) cupcake boxes with inserts for individual standard size cupcakes.  I need about 100-200.... I don't mind buying bulk since I think what I am doing is going to catch on around here.  I am in Canada so within Canada would be snazzy but not necessary as long as shipping doesn't kill me.  any suggestions??   On and I run a legit business with business number etc so I can buy wholesale if you know of...
I have been hired to provide a cookie decorating station at a kids Christmas party.  I plan to offer one very large per child to decorate and an assortment of icing colors and sanding sugars/ pearls etc. my questions are....   what type of icing would you use for an event like this??  I will be there for about 2 hours so my concern with using royal is the drying issue... however, it would be good for the kids to be able to take their cookies home so buttercream will just...
Hi all, I am a licensed custom caker. I have decided I need to upgrade my pans as many of them are from when I first started baking and are either the celebrate-it pans or Wilton pans from michaels. I have bought some fat daddio pans and quite like them but keep hearing all about magic line pans. Can you offer some opinions? Which are better? Also, I am a 2" pan kinda girl:) looking forward to hearing your opinions!