Posts by zespri

O.P., if you find out the answer maybe you could come back and tell us? I'd be interested to know too. Just being nosy, I don't even live in the same country as you, let alone the same state.It depends on the borough you live in here, but in some areas if a customer provides you with the baked cake, you are allowed to decorate it for them, perfectly legally. Interesting, right? A bit strange as the icing is still food, but who are we to complain! This knowledge came...
you're a darling! I actually thought of you as I was doing it, as I know you've experimented a lot with it, I remember a post you made saying you didn't want those nasty chocolate melts, or something along those lines... lolBTW, compound chocolate = pretty much those nasty chocolate melts. Not real chocolate. AKA wafer chocolate, candy melts etc etc.Thank you, I can't wait to try it again now
I tried doing cakepops for the first time tonight. My chocolate was so thick it was impossible to get a smooth coating. So I added some vegetable shortening to thin it, which it did, but it still didn't seem like enough. I ended up having to add a LOT of shortening to get it thin enough, but then it didn't taste good...arrgh!! I wondered if I had to make the chocolate hotter to get it thinner, then I just burned the chocolate... *sigh*How do you get your chocolate thin...
I thought the same thing when I got mine, but have used it for loads. Hair, bumble bee stripes, bumble bee stingers, borders, long sausages to cut tiny circles from, loads of stuff! You'll find that when you're doing your cake you'll know when it's useful.
No, not at all. That man has done probably thousands of cakes that way, he's very practiced and it looked fantastic. I believe I acknowledged it was a good method. I was actually trying to address the way you have disparaged others opinions, including my own.
I wasn't saying your method isn't fast for you, obviously it is. Your method is the first one I used when I was starting out, and it's fine. I still do it if I'm not worried about perfect edges.I was just amused that you felt it was the only valid method, that all others were a waste of time. Each method brings it's own pro's and con's. Using the upside down method (not sure what you mean about templates, unless you mean Sharon Zambito's method?) is actually faster for...
course it's not stupid you could always make white chocolate ganache (different ratio of choc to cream, and not quite as firm, but easier to work with as it sets up slower). Then add lemon oil to it.Try watching Michelle's ganache videos, there are three of them, this is the first. She is very thorough and easy to follow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFtm8q4m4Bk
lol.... there are no cake laws which state the 'correct' methods. As long as the result pleases you, then any method that suits you is the correct one.
are you talking about the edges? If so, I suggest the upside down technique, by Jeff Arnett. http://cakecentral.com/tutorial/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icingDon't be put off by the steps, in my opinion it's faster than doing it the old way once you've got it sussed. Here are some other links from people which are pretty...
do NOT refrigerate your IMBC.. no no. Think about how hard a block of butter from the fridge is. That's how hard your IMBC will go if you refrigerate it, and it will take a long time to get to room temperature. It's fine to leave it out on the counter, and better for the cupcakes too.