Posts by jess605

My pans are mostly Wilton, so I think 2in. deep.    As for how much cake I need, the RSVPs are still coming in.  I would say minimum 30, maximum 50. (this accounts for parents plus kids).  I will email the non-RSVPers when it gets closer to the date, however, I need to start the cake before then since I have limited time between now and his party.   I can easily add cupcakes at the last minute for extra servings if I need to.   I re-checked my pan sizes and don't...
I want to create something similar to this for my son's 5th bday in 2 weeks.  I dont have much experience with square layers.   Any idea what size these tiers are?   I'm guessing the bottom tier is a 12x12 (but it looks higher than two layers to me?)...or maybe 10x10.  Can anyone tell for certain?   I'm considering making 12x12 and three layers for the bottom, a false  9.8in middle tier, and 6in real top tier.  Assuming supports are done correctly, will 3 layers in...
I want to make an elmo like this to sit on top of an 8in round cake.  I'd like to avoid making the Elmo out of cake.  I thought maybe RKT, but that seems like a LOT of RKT.  What else could work under the fondant - styrofoam maybe? Anything else?   http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4652120729912228&w=98&h=108&c=8&pid=3.1&qlt=90
Looking for input:   July 20th was my son's 1st bday.  I made too much cake, so one 8in round that is filled and frosted with buttercream is currently in my freezer.  It is wrapped in press and seal wrap and sealed in a plastic bag (we tried to get all the air out).   My older son's 4th bday is next week and I want to use this cake.  I've never used a frozen cake before.   What is the process of unfreezing to decorate?  Freezer to fridge (for how long) and...
My little guy's first bday party is this Sat with a rain date of Sun.  IT looks like the party will likely be Sun as thunderstorms are expected.   I'm making a 3 tier cake.  Cake was baked last week, wrapped in press and seal plastic wrap and frozen.  YEsterday I took cakes out of the freezer, still wrapped and popped them into the fridge.  Last night, I unwrapped and filled them but didn't crumb coat.  I then re-wrapped with press and seal plastic wrap and put back...
Anyone know if it will work to make a tiered cupcake stand using soup cans between the tiers? I'm trying to make a there layer stand, the bottom two layers for cupcakes and the top layer strong enough to hold an 8in round cake.I haven't been able to find any styrofoam pieces that are the right size to put btwn the tiers, but soup cans should work right?
unfortunately, I don't have time to order the small book pan btwn now and when I need to make the cake. Could torting and filling one layer of a 9x13 achieve a similar (though smaller) effect? Or, do I need to really use two layers?
I posted a ? a few days ago inquiring how to make a book cake. This: http://www.justbakedshop.com/blog/2010/03/09/adoption-day-cake/ is what my friend would like her cake to look like. She only needs it to serve about 15 people.I'm trying to decide what pan size to use. Thinking of making one layer 9x13 for the entire book, torting it and filling it. My question reallly is whether its possible to do a filled book cake with just one layer (torted and filled) or if I...
A friend of mine is officially adopting three children that she and her partner have been a foster parents to for the last few years. She is having an adoption party and asked me to make a cake for her; the style she wants is an open book.I really want to do this, but have little idea on how to make an open book cake. She needs it by this weekend so I don't have time to buy the Wilton pan.Can anyone provide some insight on what pan size I should use to make this from...
for the cake pops - are they coated in candy melts? If so, can food coloring be added to candy melts? Wondering how this color purple was achieved....hoping to recreate it but try it in a similar shade of blue.