Posts by LoveMeSomeCake615

No, you don't have to do shaped cakes to have a successful custom cake business! We do them, but they are a very small percentage (I'd say less than 10%) of our business. What we find is that most people aren't willing to pay for them, so they opt for a round cake with decor in their theme instead.   Now some people do a lot more of them, but it's by no means a must have. Most people are happy with traditional round (or square) cakes.   As far as weddings versus...
Yes.  Just kidding (sort of). But I do think many times this is exactly what they do. It's evident in the "Did I charge enough for this cake?" posts where they charged $100 for a 4 tier cake. Where did they get $100??? Did it just sound like a nice, round number to them? ITA with you, if you are going to conduct yourself as a professional, do whatever research necessary to make sure you are always capable of delivering on your promise.
One more thing, (and this is not to say this is what you should charge, I don't know your costs) to give you an idea: I would charge roughly $300 for that Diego cake.
But what is the point of even having clients if you are not making any money or even losing money??? That's the problem, a lot of people jump into this business and start selling cakes without realizing how much it really costs to make a cake. Then they charge $50 bucks for a three tier cake, and think they are making money. If you just want to charge enough to cover your costs so you can enjoy your hobby, fine, but make sure you realize what your costs actually are. As...
P.S. Those decorated sugar cookies can be a PAIN in the BUTT.  Make sure you don't underestimate the time they will take to do.
Well, it's a little hard to say for sure what you should pay yourself per hour. It depends on a lot of different factors. But definitely think about the fact that what you are doing is specialty work, and as such, you should be compensated as a skilled worker. So you want to charge more than minimum wage. We charge $15 per hour for gumpaste and fondant work. Make sure also that in figuring your price, you include materials cost/overhead, profit, AND your wage. If you don't...
I agree. We just closed our storefront that we had for about two years, and one of the reasons was exactly what Mimi said here- it consumes your life. You don't have time or energy for anything else. As Mimi said, consider the daily reality of running a retail bakery- it's a lot of work, repetition, and drudgery. Not that we didn't enjoy it at all, but it got to where we felt like we were beating our head against a wall and getting nowhere because, although the store did...
Well, if it took you 9 hours to make, and you charge $10 an hour for labor (Not sure if that's what you need to charge for labor, just an example) that's $90. That's just labor. Then you would need to figure out your materials cost, overhead and profit and add those numbers to the $90 for labor. We've done those lego cakes. They're a pain in the butt.  As far as ability, it looks like you definitely have the basic skills down! It's hard to say for sure without seeing a few...
Yes. Spot on. 
We had a storefront for two years. It is HARD work, LONG hours, and can seriously suck ALL the fun out of cakes. I'm not saying it's not great for some, just that it's not for everyone. It's takes a lot of start up capital, and it takes at least a year or two, usually longer, before you start making money. Every dollar of everything you sell will go straight back into the business to cover overhead for a while. Would you have enough capital to live off of for awhile until...