Posts by LoveMeSomeCake615

Yep, our carved cakes start at $120 and serve no less than 20-30. We tell people that due to the design of most carved cakes, it doesn't work to make them smaller than that. It can be hard to figure out how many servings a carved cake serves, since you are cutting cake away. We usually just have to ballpark it based on the servings of the size cake we started with.
I do ask that question, but a lot of times people just say they don't know, Or they just kind of dance around the question or never answer directly. I think they are afraid that I will just max out their budget if they tell me, which is not why I am asking AT ALL. So then I have no idea where to design from. If someone can at least give me a ballpark number, I know what I have to work with, and I can usually design something that fits their budget without compromising our...
Exactly! My thinking is that if you have taken someone's time to work up a quote for a custom design, the least you can do is email back and say that you decided to go in a different direction or whatever. That way I know you got the email, and I am not left hanging. That's what I would do! But yeah, I have pretty much decided to not worry about it. I waste way too much time agonizing over whether to call or email them again, what to say, etc. And the bottom line is that I...
Ok, so I'm used to getting email quote requests, sending the quote, and never hearing from them again. It's a lot less personal than talking to them on the phone, so I realize they feel less connected and obligated to respond. But lately it has been happening with people that contact me initially by phone too. They call and tell me what they want, and then I email them the quote and say in the email for them to PLEASE let me know if it's outside their budget, because we...
LOL! Oh WOW.
I agree with the PP, we have learned to wait to buy very specific cake supplies until an order makes them a necessity. That way you usually have a deposit to use towards the purchase of it too. Unless there is something you KNOW for sure you will need, then it would make sense to go ahead and get it.
I had the same thought about paypal, I know they tend to side with the buyer in these things.
First, a little backstory- We had an order booked for custom cookies in April, we got the deposit and everything was set, then the customer emailed and said she wanted to add to it, so we were emailing back and forth getting the details for that settled. Then she emails me this afternoon to say that she changed her mind on the whole order and decided it was outside their budget for this event, and she told me to paypal the deposit back to her. Well, I am kicking myself...
I guess what I meant is that we do FREE tastings for weddings only. I guess if someone wanted to pay for a tasting for a party cake, we would do that. We really haven't had party cakes bigger than 50 servings so far.
We only do tastings for weddings. Period. We have had people ask about tastings for other parties, and we just tell them that they are only for weddings.