Posts by LoveMeSomeCake615

So this isn't a question, just a vent sort of thing.   Since we closed our storefront and are doing cakes out of our home now (under cottage food law, don't have a cow ), tastings have become a little more of a production. Of course I don't have a bunch of baking from a shop to pull from, and I also don't have a shop to meet in, so I have to bake for each tasting and meet at a Starbucks. Also, because I work another full time job now, my time is very precious to me! And...
I second the Paypal idea, that works really well when you are having a hard time connecting with someone for payment. Never complete an order without having payment in advance. 
I know you made that distinction, that's why I said "I know you know this"  I just know some may have worked in that environment and they might think "This is fun! I could own my own shop!" without realizing all of the behind the scenes that goes into it.
 Haha, barely! Usually when we just said "enough!" and locked the doors. Ain't it grand?
I know you know this, and I am not trying to be argumentative, but working in a storefront and being the owner of a storefront is apples and oranges. Even if you are a manager or boss, it's still not the same as being the owner. As the owner the buck ultimately stops with you, you are ultimately responsible for every apsect of your business. So it's not just about the hours and working all the time (although that is part of it, you really don't have a life outside of your...
This is definitely a consideration- once you are in a shop, you will not be able to dedicate that kind of time and attention to detail to cakes, you just simply will not have time. It starts to feel more like an assembly line of cakes. You do get faster and more efficient, because you have to.  LOL about the burn marks, so true! I have scars all over my arms from burning them on the oven!  And yes, the hiring issue is real- it would have helped a lot to hire someone to run...
 I totally get what you're saying, part of our reasoning for opening the storefront was because we were outgrowing where we were, getting more orders than we had the capacity to take. Renting a commercial kitchen would be a nice middle ground (there's not much of that available where we are either), I think the biggest issue with a retail shop is how much you have to be there at the shop, and then because you are the owner, even when you go home you are still never really...
Agreed. Really think about the reasoning behind this, if you truly feel like having a storefront will add to your business, or just add to your workload. See the difference? Even if it would increase your sales by 50%, how much of that money would you actually see, and how much would go towards your now exponentially greater overhead? It's not to say it's never successful (obviously it works for some people!), but you just really have to count the cost.
 Glad to help! Please let me know if you have any other questions or anything else I can help with! I certainly don't have all the answers, but if I can help someone navigate the craziness of a storefront, I will!No worries about the copy and paste, it wasn't hard to find. Besides, I'm bored at work and it gave me something to do!
I'm just going to copy a response I did to this question a couple of months ago, because it applies here too:   We just closed our storefront that we had for about two years, and one of the reasons was exactly what Mimi said here- it consumes your life. You don't have time or energy for anything else. As Mimi said, consider the daily reality of running a retail bakery- it's a lot of work, repetition, and drudgery. Not that we didn't enjoy it at all, but it got to where...