Posts by LoveMeSomeCake615

Yep, same here. Unless it is a previous client who is just using FB for convenience, I'd say 9 times out of 10 those who contact initially through FB expect it to be cheap, and/or I respond to their initial message and never get a response back. It ends up feeling like a massive waste of time to respond to FB messages. I have been so tempted to just turn messaging off and tell people that they must call or email to inquire or place an order. It seems like that would weed...
Yes. Also yes.
This is pretty much exactly what the lady I dealt with said in response (the one whose inquiry inspired this thread). It's fine for someone to say we're too expensive (heard that so many times I am waaay over it), but she was just very rude about it. It's really hard for me to stay nice and professional (but I did anyway!) when someone is basically accusing me of being greedy/insane/price gouging etc. 
We haven't completely stopped making cakes (yet), but we did close our shop and just do them on the side now. We're still trying to figure out how much we want to do, or if we just want to stop doing cakes completely, at least for a while. Of course we would finish the ones we already have on the books. For us, scaling back was absolutely a good decision, I am SO much less stressed! And we have a life again! The business (and especially the shop) took pretty much ALL of...
I'm not looking down my nose at anyone, I'm certainly no Kerry Vincent or RBI myself! I realize there are different levels of skill and some are fine with a more simple cake. I'm not delusional enough to think everyone wants a artistic masterpiece for their kid's birthday party. We've done both very simple designs with buttercream roses and "Happy Birthday!" and completely custom designs with sugar flowers, intricate piping, painstakingly molded gum paste figures that look...
Always full payment up front here too. (50% to book, the rest 1-2 weeks before event date, depending on type of event/size of cake). IMO there's no reason not to get full payment up front.
So she didn't want buttercream under the fondant, she wanted jam, you used buttercream under the fondant, and she's telling you there wasn't enough buttercream?? Does she mean the filling? Maybe she expected a thicker layer of buttercream fill?   Either way it sounds like a pretty ridiculous complaint, and certainly not one that warrants half her money back! If the cake was done the same way you do all of your cakes, and everything else was to her liking, then maybe she...
Absolutely. We realize that many people who inquire about our cakes are probably not even visualizing the level of work we are when we are quoting a cake, and I'm sure they would be thrilled with the "ugly sheet cake". But we have come to the place where we are just not interested in doing any and every job that comes along, we only want to do the ones that excite us and make us feel like we are able to truly use it as a creative outlet, since that's what it is for us now....
A blind kitten! That's both sad and hilarious!  Definitely, and we don't concern ourselves with people who are clearly not our target market. I really don't care that this lady wasn't willing to pay our prices, we just say "Next!"I just wanted to bring attention to the fact that undercutting DOES make a difference. I've seen so many people come on here and say that their charging a fraction of what other cakers charge is no big deal and doesn't hurt the industry at all,...
Yeah, we don't really do a lot of them either, because everyone wants one and no one wants to pay for one.  My husband is the one who does them, and he is amazing at it. But if he's going to do one, he's going to spend hours on it getting every little detail right, and no way is he going to do that for no profit! So we really don't mind at all if someone changes their mind about a shaped cake once they see the price. Thankfully we both have full time jobs that pay the...