Posts by LoveMeSomeCake615

Now there's a thought!
I just think it's funny how these people will seemingly do anything to get jobs for which they will charge so little that they don't even make any money! What's the point?? For the lulz?? For the pats on the back?? Those get old real fast when you're up at 3:00 AM trying to get the gum paste figure or fondant piece to look EXACTLY like the teddy bear on the invitation or you're covered in buttercream and powdered sugar and you're so tired you can't see.   Cake...
We have done this exact design, and this is how we did it. I piped ALL of those dots. My hand has never been so sore! I wouldn't recommend a bride do it either!
Well, I can tell you what I would charge for that cake, but it may not be accurate for your costs. You would need to figure out your materials cost and overhead, how many hours of labor (and how much per hour you want to charge), and profit margin to come to a price. At least you have a starting point with the $4 per serving, but if that is your base price for basic design, you would certainly need to add on to that for a 3D shaped cake.
Great post, and that cake is adorable! Great job!
Yes, absolutely! It has taken some time for me to get to this point, but I no longer feel compelled to take any and every job that comes along. Now we only take jobs that we want to take, and we charge enough to make it worth our while! 
You asked whether professionals start out charging just ingredients and practice before they start charging professional prices, and you asked why professionals "look down on" home bakers who don't charge enough. Everyone else answered the questions about practicing and how you should start out, I answered the question about why, IMO, we don't like when home bakers (or any baker for that matter) doesn't charge what a cake is worth. I'm glad you have done the math and...
Sure they need to decide what their cake is worth, that's what I just said: "they never do the math to figure out their materials cost, overhead, labor costs, and profit," as in, they SHOULD be doing the math for themselves and figuring out how much they are actually spending on ingredients, materials, etc., not just say "Oh, I probably spent about $5 for these ingredients, so I'll charge the customer $20 and make $15 profit, cha-ching!" And you should figure out for...
I am a home baker, and I have a problem with anyone charging too little. I have a problem with it because it devalues the market. Of course everyone has different costs, but so many home bakers jump right in with no concept of how much they should be charging- they never do the math to figure out their materials cost, overhead, labor costs, and profit, so they end up charging 20 bucks for a cake that cost them $15 in ingredients and took them 5 hours to bake and decorate....