Posts by Rudd

There wasn't really a setup... I was thinking there would be a table to be able to set the cake up on but when we got to the restaurant there was barely enough room for the people at the tables much less enough room for the cake to have it's own table. Luckily I did have that planter with me so I was able to elevate the cake off the table (where people's drinks & food could easily be spilled onto the cake). It was a very low budget wedding & a very casual affair so this...
You could have just taken a small amount of frosting, like a quarter cup or so & tried to add the orange to see how it changed the color. If you liked the results then you could have done it to the whole batch. Just an idea for next time you have that situation.
Off the top of my head, I would say to use some sort of wooden box turned upside down & covered in a pretty fabric to display the cake on. It would give the added height of whatever size box you used. Also if you have a nice cake stand that will add some height. I made a very small 2 tier (6 & 10) wedding cake for my friend's wedding & I found a nice planter at a thrift store that was heavy enough & stable enough to hold the cake. I used it to elevate the cake off the...
The description on the box says it's supposed to be a "buttery vanilla" but to me it tasted more like "food coloring vanilla", lol. I'm not sure if using an extender would change the flavor or not since I just used the straight cake mix. The cake in my avatar was made with the pink velvet cake mix & everyone at the party said it was good but most people will be polite & not tell you your cake tastes funny while they are chowing down on it. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to...
Are you making a scratch cake or using the Duncan Hines Pink Velvet Cake Mix? I ask because I've made the cake mix before & it just tasted like a butter recipe yellow cake with a ton of food coloring in it. I used my sweet cream vanilla buttercream on it which is my basic go to buttercream. If you are feeling adventurous, maybe try adding some raspberry, strawberry, or lemon extract, especially if you are using the mix because it really does need something to help out the...
I couldn't figure out how to add an image of a photo I saved into my favorites, so I'm just posting the link. I don't think these are the exact cake pops you were planning on making, but these look so easy you may want to take a look. HTH   http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3251486/used-a-butter-fly-mini-cutter-made-ears-with-my-fingers-pushed-up-his-feet-added-a-trunk-some-eyes-and-put-him-on-top-of-a-cake-ball/
Apparently OP posted just before I did, it definitely appears those are plunger flowers as opposed to the molds like I used.
I ordered a mold that had teeny tiny flowers on it last year, I believe from Global Sugar Art. The flowers were very tiny, only about half a centimeter.
Even better than a ruler, use one of those plastic triangle rulers from the school supply section in department stores. It has a flat side that will keep your angle straight & a ruler so you can measure how far apart you are placing your quilts. I did this cake using that method. Well I was hoping the quilting part showed up better but it looks like between the lighting in the pic & the black fondant you can't really see it.
I don't know how you would be able to keep the Hulk hand bursting through the top from showing on the Frozen side. Sounds like they may be trying to incorporate a boy's & a girl's cake into the same giant cake. Sounds like a lot of work just to figure out the design much less executing it. If it were me, I would suggest to scale down the # of tiers & just make each kid their own individual cake in a single or 2 tier cake that would still give them the serving count they...