Posts by kmstreepey

I actually always heat my cream to steaming, then put the chopped chocolate right in the pot with the cream. Turn off the heat and let it sit a minute, then whisk until it is smooth. Sometimes I don't let it sit and just start whisking, but it does help to let it have a head start on melting in the cream. If you have little pieces of melted chocolate, just stir/whisk until those pieces melt too. You can always heat it gently over a double boiler again if you need to,...
I just did a captain america shield and used graduated circle cutters and a star cutter for the middle. It wasn't hard at all and the pieces all went together without any problem.
If she said it was fine even in the venue's frig, how can she say it was your fault? That means it survived the transport to her house and then her transport to the venue. I'm thinking maybe someone at the venue bumped it in the frig while working and didn't confess to the damage caused. It certainly doesn't sound like a construction issue to me. She is going after you because she is disappointed and can't see anyone else to complain to right now. I totally understand...
I use brushes from the paint section at Michael's. Just look for brushes that are well-made. Pull a little on the bristles - make sure they are soft and that they don't pull out easily. Some brushes are made cheaply and you will end up with bristles falling out all over your cake. I wash mine with soapy water, too.I have the Wilton brushes (not the new kind that just came out) and I do not like them at all. I'm not sure what they are good for. The bristles are very...
Is your cake sinking before or after you remove it from the oven? It could be underbaked, but if it's sinking before you remove it from the oven, it is more likely over-leavened.
I use mini-chocolate chips and have never had a problem.
It will be fine. I've left fillings like this out overnight in a cake with no problems. Fresh fruit will generally not spoil overnight at room temperature and all of the other ingredients are fine at room temperature. There is no dairy or something similar to worry about. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
How tall will your cake be all together? If it's 4 inches or less, you wouldn't need any boards or support in there. I just saw a good recipe/tutorial on www . thecakeblog . com. She didn't put anything in there and it looked great. Miso, who made it, makes great cakes, so I'm sure if it needed support she would have put it in the cake.If the cakes together will be more than 4 inches (by a significant amount), I would do what you described - put a board in the cake and...
I am the same way! It gets in my head and I get so excited I can't stop thinking about it or figuring out how to do the design I want. One thing that really helps me fall asleep is a notebook and pencil beside my bed. That way, I get it out of my head at least a little and can jot down ideas if I need to. I really love that so many of us get that excited about cakes!
If you are looking to swap out the milk with another liquid, you can generally do that. But if the recipe calls for milk with fat in it, you may have to account for the fat you are removing by adding more in another way. It depends on the amounts and what you are swapping the milk with.